Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Hedgehog Evacuation Kit
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
xxtgxx

Default Hedgehog Evacuation Kit

Hey everyone, I hope this is in the right forum. I know there is another thread about hedgie evacuation kits but the last post was in 2011 and I know it's against the rules to post in old threads so I thought I'd make a new one.

I have a plastic cat carrier I was planning to evacuate Augie in--it has fleece strips, food, and water. However, he won't have his wheel. After evacuation, it's hard to say where we'll be, and for how long. At the very worst, he may not be able to leave his carrier for as long as 10 days. At best, he might be able to run around a hotel bathroom at night. Obviously, staying in a carrier for an extended period of time isn't good at all since I know hedgies need their exercise each night.

So I was thinking maybe I should get a large, clear, plastic tote instead, just in case it comes to the worst case scenario and I can't take him out of whatever cage he is in? I can definitely fit a wheel in there.

The biggest reason I'm still considering the little, plastic cat carrier is because it's smaller and I have 2 large dogs and a cat I also need to fit into my Prius. I'm not sure if I can sacrifice taking up the extra room.

What do you guys think? Should I make room for the plastic bin?
Also, if you have any other suggestions for what to include in Augie's evac kit, I'd love to hear them!
So far I have:
-Fleece strips
-Water (w/ bottle)
-Food (w/ food bowl)
-Igloo

*No need for hand warmers because we would be evacuating a wild fire during summer and it would definitely be warm enough for Augie.
xxtgxx is offline   Reply With Quote