Hedgehog Central banner

My hedgehog is going bald I need help

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  belties 
#1 ·
So I got my hedgehog about a year ago and she is around one year old and recently I stared to notices that she has lost a tone of facial hair like their is barely any left and I’m not sure what is going on I don’t know is she is sick or not I need help and i don’t know if I will be able to keep her much longer because I don’t want to take the risk of her dying on me can anybody tell me what I should do or anyplace were their are people willing to take her in in Houston Tx ?

#4 ·
It could be mites,fungal, or bacterial infection. Is she scratching ,losing quills or hair on her belly or skirt ? Is she loosing weight or any other odd things, any changes in housing,diet ,temp,lighting ? A skin scraping would tell a lot. A vet visit would confirm what it is and could cure it fairly easily.

#5 ·
Hey there! All of the above is correct; definitey get it checked out. I will say, if you’re having a v difficult time finding a small mammal/exotic vet, you’re always free to call a regular vet, and ask if they would accept taking even a LOOK at your guy. Even if they aren’t specialized in small animal medicine, they still have a professional opinion that could either rule things out or get you a step closer. Obviously, look for an exotic vet, but if there are TRULY none in your area, exhaust all of your domestic vets before scrapping the vet idea.
Hope this helps 🙂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.