Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - 2 Week URI Still Persisting
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 02:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
latte.the.hedgehog

Default 2 Week URI Still Persisting

Hello all, I got my hedgie less than 3 weeks ago and I immediately noticed that he was sneezing (he was a pet store rescue). He is only a baby. The pet store said he's a month old but I would guess he's 6-8 weeks. Idk how to tell but he's got all his teeth. I'll insert a photo. He weighs about 128 grams.

I took him to the vet a few days after I got him. After 3 vet visits, and a terrifying day or two were he stopped eating and I thought I was going to lose him, I received baytril from the vet. Today marks 2 weeks that I've been giving him the medicine twice a day and syringe feeding him. I'm happy to say that while he mostly sleeps, he has quite the appetite and manages to wheel for an hour or two each night.

I'm supposed to stop his medicine in 2 days, but he still sounds rather congested. He'll be silent for a while but then kind of sputter and cough. I definitely don't think he's 100%. I'm going to call the vet again to ask what to do but I wanted some opinions on here too.

His appetite is back and he's as feisty as ever, but could the URI be progressing into something more serious? Today he did have a bit of diarrhea. Do URIs have a habit of hanging around for weeks on end? Any advice is welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181019_193636479_1540011689581.jpg (83.7 KB, 24 views)
latte.the.hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote