How Big? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question How Big?

I'm hoping to get a hedgie soon but I currently only have room for a 2 by 2 (about 4 square foot)c&c cage. Is that enough space?
myky11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

C&C cubes normally come in 14 inches, so your cage is actually 28 by 28 inches. It is a little on the small side but it's not too small.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here are a few sources on cage size requirements. It is important to keep in mind that every hedgehog is different, some will require more space than others. Many members of this forum favor large enclosures and feel that works best for them. I myself believe that there is such a thing as having a cage that is too big. Currently, my C&C cage measures just over 4.7 sqft. And it suits my hog quite well as he gets hours of playpen and floor time every day. A 2x2 c&c meausures out to 5.4 square feet. If you would like to go bigger but can't swallow adding a whole other grid, I suggest overlapping grids and zip tying them secure. I did this to keep my cage rectangular without having to make a 2x3 cage that I simply don't have room for.

-Hedgehogs in the wild usually cover a lot of ground in their search for food. Pet hedgehogs need lots of room to move about too. Two square feet (e.g. 1 foot by 2 feet) is sometime quoted as the minimum floor space for a hedgehog, but this should be considered an absolute bare minimum, and only used if you have a wheel and give your hedgehog ample time to roam around outside the cage for exercise. It would be much better to aim for a minimum of about four square feet (e.g. 2 feet by 2 feet). (http://exoticpets.about.com/od/hedge...gehogcages.htm)

-There is no question that the life of your pet hedgehog depends on what kind of home you are going to provide for it. Responsible pet owners should know that an adopted pet, whatever kind of creature it may be, deserves to be treated with the same utmost care and concern as that of a human being. Giving a domesticated animal a safe, secure, and suitable home can definitely and greatly affect the quality and longevity of its life.
When it comes to the exact hedgehog cage size, different pet owners have different opinions. But one sentiment is common with all of them, and that is to give your pet the largest possible area that you can give it.
As for the exact size, experts suggest that a decent hedgehog enclosure should have a minimum area of 24 inches by 24 inches. If you want to enclose it, a minimum height of 18 inches is also advised. Every cage should have room enough for a litter box, a sleeping nest or bag, a feeding area, and a very wide playing section. Hedgehogs are naturally playful animals, and they tend to do a lot of fooling around particularly at night.So if you can imagine your minimum cage size of four square feet to satisfy all the four fundamental needs of your dearly loved prickly pig, then that should be adequate.
Some pet owners house their pets in ultra large cages with an area of 48 inches by 48 inches or sixteen square feet. They are four times as large as the minimum size suggested. Pet pens of this size are beneficial for incredibly active hedgehogs as it can contain a wide variety of pet toys and other stuff and your little spiny friend can roam around unsuppressed. However, very large cages come with certain drawbacks as well.
One of the main disadvantages of a super huge enclosure is it will take more effort to clean it. And because it takes more time, a pet owner may put off cleaning it until the area is already severely dirty. This is bad news for your little prickly pigs as they may catch all kinds of diseases and infections that may be detrimental to its health.
The best dimensions, according to some hedgehog experts, are 42 inches by 30 inches by 18 inches. This is a relatively large hedgehog cage size that is comfortable to the pet and convenient to the pet master as well. It can hold all the essential contraptions of an animal pen, can give your pet all the living and playing space it needs, and can easily be maintained by the owner. (http://hedgehogcage.net/hedgehog-cage-size/)

As I stated before, do what works best for you, as long as your prickly friend is happy. You could always opt for a night playpen that you could temporarily set up to allow him to get some extra space a few times a week. I do this as well with a pop up pen that covers almost 6 sqft. There's always options. I know some loft their cages to provide a second level for Hedgie. personally I rather not because too much could go wrong. Additionally, hedgehogs are not climbers generally and so the second levels might go unused. Just don't let anyone make you feel bad about how big your cage is, it happens sometimes with even the most well intentioned respondents.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Minimum recommended cage size here is 40 x 20 inch, I would personally not go smaller than that. If you put in the necessary items such as a wheel, sleeping hut, food/water bowls and toys you won't have much (or any at all) floorspace left with a smaller cage.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally's_Oliver View Post
Here are a few sources on cage size requirements. It is important to keep in mind that every hedgehog is different, some will require more space than others. Many members of this forum favor large enclosures and feel that works best for them. I myself believe that there is such a thing as having a cage that is too big. Currently, my C&C cage measures just over 4.7 sqft. And it suits my hog quite well as he gets hours of playpen and floor time every day. A 2x2 c&c meausures out to 5.4 square feet. If you would like to go bigger but can't swallow adding a whole other grid, I suggest overlapping grids and zip tying them secure. I did this to keep my cage rectangular without having to make a 2x3 cage that I simply don't have room for.

-Hedgehogs in the wild usually cover a lot of ground in their search for food. Pet hedgehogs need lots of room to move about too. Two square feet (e.g. 1 foot by 2 feet) is sometime quoted as the minimum floor space for a hedgehog, but this should be considered an absolute bare minimum, and only used if you have a wheel and give your hedgehog ample time to roam around outside the cage for exercise. It would be much better to aim for a minimum of about four square feet (e.g. 2 feet by 2 feet). (http://exoticpets.about.com/od/hedge...gehogcages.htm)

-There is no question that the life of your pet hedgehog depends on what kind of home you are going to provide for it. Responsible pet owners should know that an adopted pet, whatever kind of creature it may be, deserves to be treated with the same utmost care and concern as that of a human being. Giving a domesticated animal a safe, secure, and suitable home can definitely and greatly affect the quality and longevity of its life.
When it comes to the exact hedgehog cage size, different pet owners have different opinions. But one sentiment is common with all of them, and that is to give your pet the largest possible area that you can give it.
As for the exact size, experts suggest that a decent hedgehog enclosure should have a minimum area of 24 inches by 24 inches. If you want to enclose it, a minimum height of 18 inches is also advised. Every cage should have room enough for a litter box, a sleeping nest or bag, a feeding area, and a very wide playing section. Hedgehogs are naturally playful animals, and they tend to do a lot of fooling around particularly at night.So if you can imagine your minimum cage size of four square feet to satisfy all the four fundamental needs of your dearly loved prickly pig, then that should be adequate.
Some pet owners house their pets in ultra large cages with an area of 48 inches by 48 inches or sixteen square feet. They are four times as large as the minimum size suggested. Pet pens of this size are beneficial for incredibly active hedgehogs as it can contain a wide variety of pet toys and other stuff and your little spiny friend can roam around unsuppressed. However, very large cages come with certain drawbacks as well.
One of the main disadvantages of a super huge enclosure is it will take more effort to clean it. And because it takes more time, a pet owner may put off cleaning it until the area is already severely dirty. This is bad news for your little prickly pigs as they may catch all kinds of diseases and infections that may be detrimental to its health.
The best dimensions, according to some hedgehog experts, are 42 inches by 30 inches by 18 inches. This is a relatively large hedgehog cage size that is comfortable to the pet and convenient to the pet master as well. It can hold all the essential contraptions of an animal pen, can give your pet all the living and playing space it needs, and can easily be maintained by the owner. (http://hedgehogcage.net/hedgehog-cage-size/)

As I stated before, do what works best for you, as long as your prickly friend is happy. You could always opt for a night playpen that you could temporarily set up to allow him to get some extra space a few times a week. I do this as well with a pop up pen that covers almost 6 sqft. There's always options. I know some loft their cages to provide a second level for Hedgie. personally I rather not because too much could go wrong. Additionally, hedgehogs are not climbers generally and so the second levels might go unused. Just don't let anyone make you feel bad about how big your cage is, it happens sometimes with even the most well intentioned respondents.
I'm not sure if you should trust these text too much especially the second one. I mean "One of the main disadvantages of a super huge enclosure is it will take more effort to clean it. And because it takes more time, a pet owner may put off cleaning it until the area is already severely dirty." is the worst argument ever, just don't get a hedgehog if you don't want to take care of it
Also, I truly hope no "expert" suggest a 24 x 24 inch cage as a suitable living environment even if it's stated to be the minimum size.
I know the minimum size in the US is smaller than in most European countries but looking at the hedgehogs and cage sizes I've had, I personally wouldn't get any smaller than the 40 x 20 I mentioned.
Lilysmommy and Nick120180 like this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I currently have a 2x2 cage for Harley, but he's a baby so I'll expand it once he gets a little bigger (and once I can rearrange my furniture a bit lol). All he ever does is eat and sleep so it's not a big deal yet. If your hedgie is bigger though, a 2x2 is definitely too small.

Follow Harley on instagram (He'll follow back ) @harleydwighthunter
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've got a 60x24 cage and he uses all that very easily. I,d go with Draenog, 40x20 would probably be as small as I'd want to see a hedgehog in.
Nick120180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

3x2 c&c is probably a better description
Nick120180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions
myky11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
c&c cage, cage size

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in