Hows my hedgie cage? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hows my hedgie cage?

Hi
k so i just got my hedgie SaFfRoN about a week ago and i was wondering if i set up her cage good.
I am also open to suggestions on how to set it up, and if it needs anything.
Thank you, Cody.H

chchch113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hows my hedgie cage?

The wooden hiding hut can harbor mites, I would remove that and in its place put a hedgie bag or a igloo.

The Silent Spinner Wheel is dangerous for hedgies, their nails can get caught in the seam of the color part and white part which can rip the nail off and cause a very bloody mess or even worse can break a leg. Also the ridges on the wheel can cause the paws of your hedgie to rub raw, which is more blood.I recommend a CSW (Carolina Storm Wheel) from LarryT here on the forums, by far the safest, easiest to clean and the Quietest wheel around.

Is that a Superworm you have in the bowl? If so, please don't feed these, they bite and can harm your hedgie.

The water bottle isn't the best, it is an unnatural position for the hedgie to drink and also it can break their teeth. Change to a water bowl.

As for the bedding, is that carefresh? It is very dusty and gets everywhere, liners are the best for hedgies, they are more economical, environmentally friendly and cost effective.

Hope that helps

*Edit - Add more

I don't see a digital thermometer or a heating device.

What are you using for heating? and also for light?

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapilionRu
Is that a Superworm you have in the bowl? If so, please don't feed these, they bite and can harm your hedgie.
It's ok to feed your hedgie superworms as long as you cut their heads off before giving it to him.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have never used a Silent Spinner, but I know other people have said they can be modified to cover the slits - I think most have used craft foam. Make sure it is bolted securely to the cage so it can't fall over.
I used carefresh bedding with Pliny for a few months. It was dusty, and I found cage cleaning much easier when I switched to fleece and flannel liners; but carefresh is ok to use - just keep an eye on Saffron to see if she is sneezing a lot and itchy as some hogs will react to the dust. I also found that some bags were dustier than others.
As Susana said, the superworms are fine if you cut their head off - they have teeth and can bite the inside of your hedgie's mouth.
You will probably find that a plastic igloo is easier to keep clean than the wooden house, and they can harbour mites (the wood)
Pliny used a water bottle until quite recently when I switched him from a large superpet cage to a C&C cage. I couldn't use the water dish in his old house because he is a total liner diver and would always tip it over in his attemps to crawl underneath his liner. He never had issues with the bottle, but some hedgies do. Now that he has a massive home I can place a water dish on a separate dish towel with his food and don't have to worry about spilling.
You will need to get a heat source if you don't already have one.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I won't bother to mention the things everyone else already mentioned. The only thing that caught my eye were the dishes. I can't really tell from the pictures - are they ceramic, porcelain, or plastic? I've heard that some hedgehogs will throw their dishes around if they find they're light plastic (for the whee! factor, not to rebel), or tip them over from putting weight on them. Could result in a thirsty little hedgehog if they tip over their water dish.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in