C&C Contstuction.. is a lid needed? (especially with a CSW) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi
Default C&C Contstuction.. is a lid needed? (especially with a CSW)

I've been purusing the cage setups for a long time and have decided to build a C&C for Mila. She is getting to be a big hog (Over 400 g now, and a tad over 4 months old) and is outgrowing her Sterilite bin setup. I always intended for her to have a C&C when she was older.. but I thought I could hold off until the spring (my other reason being that I was concerned with retiaining enough heat).

Anyways, I have the supplies and had been holding off until after the holidays, because I was out of town and didn't want to bring a massive C&C setup anywhere, or have her transition too much.. so here I am.

I'm also nervous about making the first cut in the Coroplast! haha.. anyone else feel this way? It was hard enough for me to find and transport.. i don't want to accidentally ruin the precious stuff!

So, onto the main subject here: I've seen many C&Cs with a lid, but I'm not sure how necessary it is. Mila doesn't seem to be a climber.. but I guess I haven't really seen her be that active, or attempt to scale the slippery sides of her bins. If I make the coroplast walls 8 inches high, do I need a lid?

Also, with a CSW, I think it will be higher than the Cubes. I've seen pictures of set ups that have made just a little allowance for the wheel, Is it necessary to make a lid with the CSW?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: C&C Contstuction.. is a lid needed? (especially with a CSW)

I don't use lids/tops on my C&C cages. I made the coroplast walls as tall as I could to prevent climbing, also I don't use igloos so there is nothing in the cage to use as a ladder to escape. My hedgies have their own room too so there is no other animals to worry about climbing in their cages either.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I put 8" coroplast around my C&C, with no lid. I do have a single C&C block on one corner, but that's because the corner buts against my sofa & it's more to stop things from falling in off the sofa than for her to climp out.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think a lot depends on the hedgie: Snarf's cage is homemade and three sides have 2.5" of wood, then 6" of mesh, then 1.5" of wood again. Very easy to climb - the mesh would make a perfect escape route.

He was housed in the cage when we got him and had been for all of his 1.5 years but I was pretty paranoid. We made sure the livingroom was as safe as we could make it when we set up his cage and just waited to see....

He has shown NO interest at all in trying to get out. When he's wandering around on the floor, he will s-t-r-e-t-c-h himself to try and scale things but has never tried in his cage. Dunno why....????
Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I am a huge believer in having a secure cage with a lid. Many hedgehogs are escape artists and we hear far too often of hedgehogs that never tried to escape before, escaping.

I had a 6 week old baby who I was weaning from mom. He escaped his 13" high bin. There was nothing in the bin but a hedgie bag and his small food and water dishes. He somehow managed to scale the sides of the bin.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

OK, for now I'm going to keep the walls 8" and without a second level, I've decided to go without a top.

On another note, I opened the cubes and completed assembling them.. when I realized that it wouldn't fit through the doorway I'm SOOOO glad I didn't secure it with the zip ties yet! I made mine 2x3, with a bottom level (cheaper than buying a table or stand to put it on). I thought "maybe I can just hassle it through the doorway".. these connectors are stronger than I thought! I managed to not have to completely disassemble it.. but the impulsive stubborn side of me took over (as evidenced by white marks on the cubes from the white trim of the doorway )

Now I'm going to go start the coroplast... I'm a little nervous about my measurements. I've checked and rechecked.. but I'm wary about the connectors getting in the way.. or the actual thickness of the coroplast affecting the overall fit.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I should add that while I don't have a lid on my C&C cage, the cage is on the ground in a secure room.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in