Loft - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Loft

Hello

I'm thinking about building a hedgehog safe loft for Clover, I was planing to use a 4 inch vinyl tube to connect the bottom to the loft... Is the tube big enough for the hedgehog? Is the loft safe for hedgehogs if it is gated off?

Thanks!

Dylan227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Loft

Lofts are safe when they are completely enclosed and the 4 inch pvc is big enough. Some things to take in consideration is that the angle can't be too steep and some hedgies won't ever want to use it. Ramps have to be totally enclosed also cause some hedgies are very good climbers and could go right up and fall over a banister or half wall. There has to be away to get it out of the cage also for washing. My hedgies have ones on the floors of their cages and my one girl loves leaving poopy footprints in it for me to clean everyday lol I have also heard that some people will have a problem with their hedgehogs going into the tubes and not wanting to come out so it would have to be designed so it could come apart if you ever had to get them out and they were refusing. I would like to do this also but some of these things have made me reluctant to jump into the project because I'm still thinking of the best way to solve them. If you end up making one I'd love to see it, I enjoy getting to see all the different cage set ups
Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgieonboard
Lofts are safe when they are completely enclosed and the 4 inch pvc is big enough. Some things to take in consideration is that the angle can't be too steep and some hedgies won't ever want to use it. Ramps have to be totally enclosed also cause some hedgies are very good climbers and could go right up and fall over a banister or half wall. There has to be away to get it out of the cage also for washing. My hedgies have ones on the floors of their cages and my one girl loves leaving poopy footprints in it for me to clean everyday lol I have also heard that some people will have a problem with their hedgehogs going into the tubes and not wanting to come out so it would have to be designed so it could come apart if you ever had to get them out and they were refusing. I would like to do this also but some of these things have made me reluctant to jump into the project because I'm still thinking of the best way to solve them. If you end up making one I'd love to see it, I enjoy getting to see all the different cage set ups

Thanks! I will post a pic of the cage when it is finished. One more question: What should I make the loft out of. I heard C&C was good because you can take little squares and connect them. Do you know if C&C is a good for new cage builders? (I've never built a homemade cage before ) Here is the C&C website link: http://www.guineapigcages.com/

Once again, Thank you for all your help!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Also, I was going to connect this to the loft, so our hedgie Clover can get around heres the image of what I was going to buy: http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

Would this be better because it is flexible? I saw some members use it in their cage examples.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

The cubes would be really great for a beginner, the main thing I think with choosing is the space between the squares. I remember Nancy telling which ones were the best, they had a certain number across and its slipping my mind right now. Certain cubes will only have 5 squares across and I know that those ones are the ones too big to use. I have not gotten a chance to test out my ideas yet but some of the things I was thinking about using for my loft was hardware cloth. I had thought about making a complete cube minus one wall facing the doors, I was going to attach zip ties to hold it firm to the ceiling of the cage as well as the sides of the cage. I think Im going to weave wire for the cube itself so that it is sturdy and I won't have to worry about supporting the fourth corner and won't have to worry about sag either. I was going to cut a circle out of it for the tube ramp to come up. Then I'd cover the floor and part of the walls with coroplast. These are just ideas though because I have not had a chance yet to try yet, mainly because I'm trying to plan out a perfect ramp style in my head before I start.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

That tubing you posted should work out for a ramp, I think I've seen other cage set ups with it I think the people that have used have tied it to the side of the cage for extra support in a few places.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The cubes would be really great for a beginner, the main thing I think with choosing is the space between the squares. I remember Nancy telling which ones were the best, they had a certain number across and its slipping my mind right now. Certain cubes will only have 5 squares across and I know that those ones are the ones too big to use. I have not gotten a chance to test out my ideas yet but some of the things I was thinking about using for my loft was hardware cloth. I had thought about making a complete cube minus one wall facing the doors, I was going to attach zip ties to hold it firm to the ceiling of the cage as well as the sides of the cage. I think Im going to weave wire for the cube itself so that it is sturdy and I won't have to worry about supporting the fourth corner and won't have to worry about sag either. I was going to cut a circle out of it for the tube ramp to come up. Then I'd cover the floor and part of the walls with coroplast. These are just ideas though because I have not had a chance yet to try yet, mainly because I'm trying to plan out a perfect ramp style in my head before I start.
I think I am going to go with the organize-its. They sell them at our local Target store, Here are the specs.: 6 Cube Set: 23 panels, 24 connectors. I will cover the bottom cube with a fleece liner. Is this good to go? I want to make sure the sizing will be good for our hedgehog Clover.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

You want to make sure you get the panels with 9 holes across, not the ones with 5..

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

If I were making a cage I would use closet shelving instead of C&C grids. Closet shelving comes in all different widths and using the 16" wide one will accommodate a roof and even the largest wheel will fit.

Closet shelving is vertical bars so hedgie cannot climb and it comes in two different wire spacings so even the smallest hedgie could not escape. It eliminates the need for coroplast up the sides.

The following picture is not mine but is a great example of a wire shelving cage. IMO wire shelving makes a far superior cage than C&C grids. The only thing is, you have to decide on a size and once the wire is cut, there is no changing it.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
If I were making a cage I would use closet shelving instead of C&C grids. Closet shelving comes in all different widths and using the 16" wide one will accommodate a roof and even the largest wheel will fit.

Closet shelving is vertical bars so hedgie cannot climb and it comes in two different wire spacings so even the smallest hedgie could not escape. It eliminates the need for coroplast up the sides.

The following picture is not mine but is a great example of a wire shelving cage. IMO wire shelving makes a far superior cage than C&C grids. The only thing is, you have to decide on a size and once the wire is cut, there is no changing it.

What size wire would you recommend for building a loft? My cage is pretty small.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in