C&C Cage size? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 03:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default C&C Cage size?

I'm getting a baby hedgie soon and just want to check that a 2 cube x 2 cube cage would be large enough? Also is it better to use zip ties or connectors and is making a stand from cubes stable? Thanks!
CourtneyLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yup, 2x2 should be big enough! I used either zipties or both zipties and connectors. I've seen some people use a stand from the cubes, but when I tried making one for Lily's 2x3 cage, it seemed pretty unstable to me and the whole thing swayed/shifted pretty easily. Never had any issues with it seeming like it was going to actually collapse or fall, but we didn't stick with the stand configuration for long anyway.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ah okay, thanks I'll have to give the stand a go and see if it holds. I was hoping 2x2 is big enough. A lot of the pictures that I saw were 3x2 and the like so I was worried for a minute.
There isn't a way to hurt their legs if I cut the coroplast around the connectors is there?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I made the cage! It's 2x2 and I'm so excited to get everything to go inside My only concern is that the coroplast sits about half an inch above the actual bottom of the wire on the outsides because it's a little too big. This shouldn't pose a problem, should it?
I can post a picture if need be!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

It's too small for what's recommended here, if you could make it bigger I'd do it

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Like Draenog said, I would definitely try to make the coroplast taller. The recommended height is at least 7-8 inches tall, because hedgies are very good climbers and escape artists. My girl was able to climb her coroplast when it was 7 inches tall, so I had to bump it up to 9 inches.

And it wouldn't hurt to post a picture, a lot of people on here give really good advice

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The cage is 2 cubes by 2 cubes, not 2 feet by 2 feet. It should plenty big enough by the recommendations on the forum. From what I'm finding, the wire cubes are at least 14" long, so the cage is around 5 square feet, which is big enough even with the coroplast inside.

It sounds like you mean the box made of coroplast sits half an inch from the ground due to being a tight fit with the wire cubes, is that right? I can't see how it'd cause a huge issue, personally, but I'm not sure. The height of the coroplast is a little different, but I don't think you mentioned how high up it goes.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh! My mistake, I thought she meant the coroplast was only half an iinchtall. But if it it's half an inch above the ground, I think it should be okay. Maybe you can put something underneath it just in case, like books? Probably not necessary though.

And I was surprised at the measurements of the cube grates when I first got them! I used to think they were a foot long, but you're right, they're closer to 14 inches. Mine is a 2x3, and my boyfriend calls it a "hedgehog mansion" haha. That's why I love C&C cages!!

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess I should have been a bit more clear, sorry about that! Here's the cage so far though (I still need my wheel, dishes, and such). The liner is temporary, I'm going to get some more fleece to double it up. The last photo is how high the coroplast is from the bottom, the middle is on the wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9228.jpg (156.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9233.jpg (121.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9234.jpg (137.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9236.jpg (157.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9243.jpg (93.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
The cage is 2 cubes by 2 cubes, not 2 feet by 2 feet. It should plenty big enough by the recommendations on the forum. From what I'm finding, the wire cubes are at least 14" long, so the cage is around 5 square feet, which is big enough even with the coroplast inside.

It sounds like you mean the box made of coroplast sits half an inch from the ground due to being a tight fit with the wire cubes, is that right? I can't see how it'd cause a huge issue, personally, but I'm not sure. The height of the coroplast is a little different, but I don't think you mentioned how high up it goes.
On the forum yes, by American standards, most Europeans prefer bigger cages I think - I still find it too small tbh, but everyone has his own preferences
Lilysmommy likes this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
c&c cage, cage, size

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in