Building a cage, need some 'architecturall' help please! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Building a cage, need some 'architecturall' help please!

Hi Everyone!

I am new here, getting my baby next week and we are starting to work on her cage.

I decided that I love the wire storage bins (C&C is the lingo I think?) so my boyfriend and I Are trying to choose a lay out. I purchased the only one walmart had which was 3 ins, or 13 pieces. I only want the bottom area to be 2 pieces long because I live in an apartment with a roommate and I need to be able to move it easily if she has lots of people over. So are attempting to do the following configuration:

I have looked through both of the forums on enclosures so looking at more is not what I need.

I think that putting a second level with only 2 bins on the bottom would be too steep and maybe enable a climbing hedgie?

Also, how do I create the missing wall on the top part and still be able to access and clean it?

Or we were thinking of building a 'hanging' loft out of colorplast halfway up?

Any thoughts on a possible easily-moveable layout I can do? I have tooons of coroplast to work with

Thank you so much!
erica582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Building a cage, need some 'archetectual' help please!

This is also another option, but somewhat awkward because I do not have a corner to put it in. I like it because it has much more usable floorspace. Will add coroplast once I decide. Thoughts?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica582
I think that putting a second level with only 2 bins on the bottom would be too steep and maybe enable a climbing hedgie?

Also, how do I create the missing wall on the top part and still be able to access and clean it?

Or we were thinking of building a 'hanging' loft out of colorplast halfway up?

Any thoughts on a possible easily-moveable layout I can do? I have tooons of coroplast to work with

Thank you so much!
I think the 1x2 layout is too small. As you can see, her wheel takes up a whole grid, so it doesn't leave enough space for her to play in. (There is no way you'd be able to put a litter pan, food dishes, and an igloo/ tube/hide out in the remaining space). 2x3 is the recommended dimensions. I've read you're supposed to have 2 sq. ft of empty space after the wheel and other necessities are put in. (Some people think 2 sq. ft isn't enough).

I don't know what you mean by 'missing wall'. If you are thinking about a second level, its not recommended to have it an entire grid higher. You should lower it and use zip ties to hold it in place, then cover the floor of the level, and sides with coroplast, also you need to make a wall, and the tube or ramp needs to be completely enclosed to prevent falling too. If the second level is too high up (meaning that the walls are shorter) you will need to have a cover on it to make sure that your hedgie can't climb over those walls. Also make sure that the incline of the ramp/tube isn't too much, or it probably won't be used.

I know you said not to mention it.. but i do advise you look at this thread, because it really has a lot of pictures, and thorough responses of what works/is safe an what's not. I think its much easier to learn from other people's experiences. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Also https://hedgehogcentral.com/oldforum/ind ... topic=1383 has some great stuff too.

btw I love the wheel and lamp, haha i have the same ones

Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I knew you'd reply haha! I have looked through that thread and loved every second of it. I decided that there is no way I can do the 2 cube grid. Even with an upper level there is still not enough room for the wheel and the dish and litter. What do you think of the L shaped one?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Building a cage, need some 'architecturall' help please!

I do mine 3 long and 1 wide with only one level, thats for the babies and Spike's is 3 long and 2 wide cause he does all his active time in his cage being the antisocial popping ball of quills that he is. In a month or so the babies cages are getting expanded to the same size as Spikes so I can put more toys in for them to play with. I think as long as you are getting them out for exercise that the 3x1 would be great cause it fits a wheel a house and litter box if you use one and you can put a small toy or 2 in there.
Jaimie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

How old do you leave your babies in a cage that size? My baby will only be 6 weeks old when I get her, and I think the L shape has adequate floor space for a little baby. I also have purchased a huge playpen for her! I tried a straight but with the 12" wheel in one corner and the litterbox in the other it just didn't seem like enough space. I'm going to do some more digging through forums today and see what I can find though
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I kinda went all out.
(Ignore the "."'s in the diagram, the forum doesnt like storing more than 3 spaces)

3 floors
Ground floor has storage space for all of sonic's necessities (Food, litter etc)
2nd floor has a huge open pen for him to play in
|__________|
x = tunnel to 3rd floor

3rd floor has his litter box, his feeding area and sleeping loft
_____ ........______
|..L..|...//=|..s...|
|......|=//...|____|
|..F..|
|__X_|
s = Sleeping loft
L = his Flying Saucer Wheel surrounded by litterbox
F = his Food + Water eating area
X = tunnel to 2nd floor
...//=
=//... = tunnel/bridge to connect his food/wheel/litter area to his sleeping loft.

Hedgehogs need alot of space to run (I read somewhere that they can run up to 11km a night if i remember correctly). I noticed a huge attitude difference when I put him in his new cage. I had him temporarily in a hamster cage when I first got him. He was always moody, grumpy etc, but now he seems alot happier in his new cage.
rboelens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

Ok, so i got kinda bored at work, so i made this:
http://i52.tinypic.com/73juxz.png
I'm really interested in making a C&C, so i decided to lay it all out.

I'm getting my baby on Saturday morning I have a sterilite bin that I will use through the winter, then I will move her into a C&C in the Spring, unless I get really impatient and decide to do it sooner.

Let me know if it's unclear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in