Caging Qs - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Caging Qs

I'm looking at starting to get my hedgie stuff together to buy a baby in the summer, and am planning to make a C&C cage for cost reasons. I have a few questions about it though.
Is 36"x24" a good size for an adult hedgie?
Are the grids hard to cut?
Do you have to have a grid on the bottom, or just the coroplast? It will be sitting on a wire shelving unit above my reptile tanks.
Faint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faint View Post
I'm looking at starting to get my hedgie stuff together to buy a baby in the summer, and am planning to make a C&C cage for cost reasons. I have a few questions about it though.
Is 36"x24" a good size for an adult hedgie?
Are the grids hard to cut?
Do you have to have a grid on the bottom, or just the coroplast? It will be sitting on a wire shelving unit above my reptile tanks.
I don't know if you have a dollar store around you? But you might be able to find the storage cubes there!

Mine is 24 24 and 1224 on top, but I would say the bigger the better!

Depends what your cutting the grid with, I used metal shears, but you could use wire cutters, or I suppose garden shears could work also work

I suppose you could use just plastic for the bottom.

Last edited by tony21; 05-03-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: sp
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine are 2 cubes by 2 cubes so roughly 24x24. If you cut them then you can't use the plastic connectors that go with it. I did mine as a double decker for two hedgies. The bottom one doesn't have a solid bottom except for the coroplast that I ziptied to the sides.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a few dollar stores around me, never thought of checking there for them! Thanks! Would they be strong enough for a cage? You usually get what you paid for at the dollar store which makes me a bit wary about that too.

I like your cages Gamerkid. If you get a minute would you be able to take a picture of one of your hedgies in one of them so I could see a size reference if you don't mind?

How do you guys actually get into the cage? I was thinking ziptie one side and then secure the other side with bolt clips like from dog leashes so it could swing open?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a c&c cage that's 2x4 cubes, it's like 28"x54", it's huge lol but I have a wheel, and igloo with a sleeping pouch inside ,an upside down shoe box with doors cut out n fleece strips inside(he alternates sleeping in the box and the igloo), a liter box, a dig box (which he doesn't even look at lol) and a big ole tube that he likes to run thru, along with some little toys like a ping pong ball and this little car thing that my son made out of blocks (not Legos, these have rounded edges to them).. My hedgie likes to run Laps around his cage so I'm glad I got him a cage on the bigger side... There's a site called for guinea pigs that I kno sells c&c cages with the choroplast, I just can't think of the name

My dogs bed, while he thinks is my bed, is actually a crib mattress with a regular person pillow.. Fitted sheet and fleece blanket n all lolol so I couldn't have a spoiled dog and not a spoiled bushhog ( lmao my boss is 79 years old and he'll ask me how my bushhog is doing lolol)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (311.3 KB, 38 views)
Shaddybear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I used zip ties to create little hinges and put the door on the front. No chance of climbing out. I bought little clips to keep it closed.
Latrine likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faint View Post
I have a few dollar stores around me, never thought of checking there for them! Thanks! Would they be strong enough for a cage? You usually get what you paid for at the dollar store which makes me a bit wary about that too.
Most of the time that is true. But every once in while you find something good lol. my gf actually found them she lives in the dollar store lol. I thought it would be a waste of money and I'd be going to target to pick up better ones, but once it all went together and I ziptied it everything held up. Over a month now and it's going strong. We don't have a lid on are's, belle has never shown Interest in leaving the cage.
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

So the 2x2 grids would be big enough? It looks like a decent size from your photo, is that a full grown hedgie? That would be best actually because then I wouldn't need to cut the grids and it would work with just one pack. Thanks for the photos!
I definitely need a lid, as it will be a few feet up on a shelf, and I currently have two cats in the house, and mine likes to come in and watch the geckos every once in a while.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Would a 40"x18"x20" storebought cage work? I found one on kijiji.
Kraken - Leopard Gecko
Smudge - Cat
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That'd be a great size cage.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in