How to Set Up a Hedgehog Cage (link fixed) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to Set Up a Hedgehog Cage (link fixed)

Sorry that the link didn't work in the last one!
Here is the working link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6504352_set-...ehog-cage.html

Hope you guys enjoy!
courtno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: How to Set Up a Hedgehog Cage (link fixed)

That's alot better than most stuff i've read online but alot of it is still false/bad info.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

The article is not too far off but here were some issues I had with it

in step 1 - hedgehogs should not be kept in glass aquariums

step 2 - you shouldn't use corncob bedding for females either, it's just a bad bedding
- you can't use regular cat litter in the litter box, most people use paper towel, shavings or yesterdays news.

step 3 - putting an old t-shirt in is good advice but if you tear it up then there will be loose threads your hedgehog could get a leg caught in.
- hedgehogs should not have things to climb on they could fall and get hurt - they do not need things to chew or scratch.
- Don't provide water for swimming in the cage. it will cause a hibernation attempt and a mess - most hedgehogs don't like water anyway

step 4 - don't use a water bottle use a dish.

step 5 - you need a heat source not just a warm place to put the cage (Ceramic heat emitter or space heater is recommended) 85 is too hot for most hedgehogs.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgielover
The article is not too far off but here were some issues I had with it

in step 1 - hedgehogs should not be kept in glass aquariums

step 2 - you shouldn't use corncob bedding for females either, it's just a bad bedding
- you can't use regular cat litter in the litter box, most people use paper towel, shavings or yesterdays news.

step 3 - putting an old t-shirt in is good advice but if you tear it up then there will be loose threads your hedgehog could get a leg caught in.
- hedgehogs should not have things to climb on they could fall and get hurt - they do not need things to chew or scratch.
- Don't provide water for swimming in the cage. it will cause a hibernation attempt and a mess - most hedgehogs don't like water anyway

step 4 - don't use a water bottle use a dish.

step 5 - you need a heat source not just a warm place to put the cage (Ceramic heat emitter or space heater is recommended) 85 is too hot for most hedgehogs.
Ditto I am to lazy to type all that
Old 05-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

lol I love how they have a picture of a European hedgie
If going by the pic, I guess the temperature issue wouldn't be so bad. As well as the swimming thing...
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I thought it was pretty extensive, but yeah, I've never heard of the water pan, or chewing or rubbing their face on stuff. That stuff is in one of the sources, though. Also, I've read on websites before that corncob bedding is the BEST bedding! I don't use it, but thought that was odd. And most sites I've been to have also said to use regular cat litter. Adler never took to potty training though.

For everything someone says about raising a hedgehog, it seems someone else will say something opposite. Personally, I use a water bottle for my hedgehog and she has no problems with using it. I can tell a noticeable difference in the water levels.

I don't think the article is necessarily wrong, most of the things are about preference.

But yeah, the swimming thing was my main issue. NEVER heard that before.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtno
I thought it was pretty extensive, but yeah, I've never heard of the water pan, or chewing or rubbing their face on stuff. That stuff is in one of the sources, though. Also, I've read on websites before that corncob bedding is the BEST bedding! I don't use it, but thought that was odd. And most sites I've been to have also said to use regular cat litter. Adler never took to potty training though.

For everything someone says about raising a hedgehog, it seems someone else will say something opposite. Personally, I use a water bottle for my hedgehog and she has no problems with using it. I can tell a noticeable difference in the water levels.

I don't think the article is necessarily wrong, most of the things are about preference.

But yeah, the swimming thing was my main issue. NEVER heard that before.

I don't want to cause an argument but I have to disagree with you. Just because the article had sources doesn't mean those sources were correct or that those things are just a matter of preference. Sure some things are preference, one layer of fleece or two, which foods in the mix and how many. Aspen shavings or recycled paper bedding.

Leaving a pan of water in the cage for a hedgehog to swim in makes no sense, first of all no matter how warm it is when the hedgehog leaves the pan they will be to cold and will try to hibernate. Swimming too often causes dry skin because water washes off natural oils. Also it goes against their natural instincts to swim because they cannot ball up so are vulnerable. Some hedgehogs like water but that doesn't mean they need a swimming pool in the cage.

If they chew on something hard like a rock (which is the stupidest thing to recommend as an animal chew toy) they will break their teeth which don't grow back. Quigley has several missing teeth from his previous caregivers giving him rawhide and a water bottle.

The websites that say corncob bedding is the best are flat out wrong. It is not good for females because they can still get it stuck in private areas (although less easily) and because so many small animals have been known to eat it. Plus it stinks and is not comfortable for the hedgehog (or any other animal) to walk on/burrow in.

Cat litter is dangerous for hedgehogs because it is dusty, it sticks to private parts that are probably touching it when the hedgehog relieves it self, it can stick the hedgehogs nose if they sniff or burrow in it and if it clumps these problems are even worse. Furthermore if it is the cat litter with crystals I'm pretty sure it's toxic. Saying regular cat litter without a further qualifier is a recipe for disaster. Some have said that you can use, non-clumping, non-crystal stuff but it still has the dust problem and a certain amount will still get stuck to the hedgehogs nose. Also it doesn't absorb smell and really stinks as soon as an animal pees in it.

Most sites about hedgehogs are wrong and when people here give reasons for why something is not used or is not preferred it's clear to see who knows what they are talking about.

What you say is a matter of preference is the difference between things that are preferred because they are safer and generally better for the hedgehog VS things that a hedgehog can live with but have the potential to cause problems (like dust or bad ventilation in aquariums)

Quigley lived for over two years in a pet store that did not handle him, did not clean the cage regularly, had a water bottle in the cage, a wood hut that was too small, wood shavings that stunk, had no heat source with the cage in a drafty window, and gave him rawhide. He never had a wheel and he was on low quality greasy kitten food.

These people probably thought they were caring for him at least sufficiently because he survived. Is that good enough for our hedgehogs?

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

another problem with corn cob bedding is that when wet it molds quickly and the mold is toxic.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess one of you should write one then. I was just sharing.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalia
lol I love how they have a picture of a European hedgie
If going by the pic, I guess the temperature issue wouldn't be so bad. As well as the swimming thing...
I've done content writing before and you have to choose from the pictures they have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in