Big Enough? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Big Enough?

I'm preparing for the arrival of Winston in April, and someone mentioned in a previous thread that I made that my cage was almost too small. I've since added a loft, and am wondering if it's big enough now?

The main cage measures 40.5" by 18", and the loft is 15" by 15", but a lot of that is taken up by his little hedgie dome. I'm attaching pictures. Sorry if they're a little difficult to see properly. I can't figure out how to get a good picture where the bars don't totally obscure everything.

Please note: I know that I need plastic up around the bars in the loft. I'm going out today to get more supplies. Also, is there anything else that I should add? I want to make sure that everything is ready before he gets here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1632800x600.JPG (120.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1633800x600.JPG (113.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1635800x600.JPG (72.4 KB, 22 views)
nessariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Big Enough?

It looks big enough to me. I have seen some people with cages half the size of that. I think you should be fine.

I was wondering how you made the loft? I would like to expand my cage if possible, but I don't really know what people are using to build them.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Looks good but you may need to raise the sides of the loft up some more so your hedgie can't climb over it.
Is that a Giant Comfort Wheel?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Raise sides of loft. Will do.

Yeah, it's a giant comfort wheel. I tried to find a flying saucer, but the petsmart in my town only had the little ones. Is it okay? If Winston gets too big and starts rubbing against the middle bar I'll upgrade, but I figured it'll be okay for now.

I just typed up the entire process for making that loft and my computer decided to randomly delete it. I'll retype and post in a little while after I've gone for more hedgie supplies.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks I appreciate that. And I wouldn't get a flying saucer because it has little slits where your hedgie will run and his toes could get caught on them and it could hurt him. Thats what I've heard, so I thought I'd let you know. And if he gets too big and touches the middle part, they have the giant cake wheels that don't have a middle, and they are silent, and nonstick so its easy to clean. For right now I still have a Comfort Wheel, I may change it later.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

The flying saucers doesn't have any slits in the running surface. It has little raised areas for traction but no slits.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

So are the okay??? I saw on other posts people said not to use them.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, so, how did I make the loft? With a LOT of frustration. :P I bought some of the cube shelving and coroplast with intent to make a loft in the style of C&C cages http://guineapigcages.com/ but discovered, upon getting home, that the squares of grating were WAY too big to do what I originally intended to, so I had to improvise.

First, I secured one square of wire grating into the bars of the cage using a TON of zipties. (probably around 70). I suspended the corner that’s not against any bars with a large piece of string tied to the grating and the roof of the cage. Then I cut, scored, folded and taped the coroplast to fit on top of the grating. It explains how to do that in the link above. I also cut the hole for the tube at this point as well. I secured the coroplast to the grating by poking holes every inch or so, and using yet more zipties.

The tubing is just simple vinyl ducting. I squished it through the hole I cut for it in the coroplast, and then poked holes around the edges and secured it in place with… (guess) ZIPTIES! (I used a LOT of zipties…)

I’m currently in the process of adding plastic around the edges so that Winston won’t be able to climb up and hurt himself. I’m just using vinyl from a fabric store.

The whole thing took me a LOT longer than it should have, because I screwed up. Twice. First I accidentally attached the grating to two different bars, so it was all crooked, and then I realized that I had made the whole thing too high up, and had to start over. One of these days I’ll figure out the whole concept of “measure twice, cut once”, I swear…
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie76

tscanio ~

You are thinking of the "Silent Spinner"....
Stephanie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

lol I know how you feel. I actually made a loft area out of the cardboard box the Cage came in. I thought it was cool. It had stairs and everything to get up. But Edge didn't ever want to go up there. I plan on making another one and this one will be lower. I appreciate you telling me how you built your, I want to get more ideas before I start creating.

ALSO...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie76
tscanio ~

You are thinking of the "Silent Spinner"....

Thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in