Cage setup? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 26
Question Cage setup?

I have until the second week of january to get a complete cage set up and i have most things so far...For christmas my mother kindly bought me some small things but because it was a suprise i didn't have any say in which items were bought. I was just wondering if what i do have is ok?
It all looks a bit big and i'm still missing the wheel, water bowl, Bulb for the lamp and bedding. If theres anything else i might need please do say haha..

the picture is a zoozone 2, a ceramic cat bowl, a big pet igloo, a large corner toilet, the "reflecting dome lamp fixture" by repti zoo, which also has a komodo 100w thermostat connected to it, and a zoo med digital thermometer.
I'm really worried that with the wheel added in (planning to make or buy a bucket wheel) there isnt enough room for comfortable movement?
catbrains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Haley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 212
Default

You don't need much open space, they like to have room to explore but big open spaces can scare a timid hedgehog. Ours kind of sticks to the crowded areas of her cage and avoids the open space.

The wheels do take up a bit of space, hard to be sure, but I think you will be fine. It looks pretty good, I'm not sure how big that cage is though.

My hedgehog really likes it if we put a square of fleece over the plastic hide dome, since she wants to feel fully covered when she sleeps. If we forget she rearranges things as much as she can. She also loves her McD's Happy Meal stuffed toy (mini beanie baby) which she used to drag it into her dome with her, now she is too big so she just drags it part way in.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 251
Default

What size is the dome of the lamp and what wattage does it take?
ceopet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Lilysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 11,963
Default

Personally I'd see if you can return the corner litter box. Most people use a litter box that they can set the wheel in, or that will fit in front of the wheel since hedgehogs will potty on their wheel anyway. I got a corner litter box when I first got Lily & after a couple months we took it out & never put it back in. I ended up making a small litter box out of some extra coroplast to fit under her wheel. Other people use plastic or metal trays for litter boxes.
__________________
~*~*~ Kelsey ~*~*~

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Personally I'd see if you can return the corner litter box. Most people use a litter box that they can set the wheel in, or that will fit in front of the wheel since hedgehogs will potty on their wheel anyway. I got a corner litter box when I first got Lily & after a couple months we took it out & never put it back in. I ended up making a small litter box out of some extra coroplast to fit under her wheel. Other people use plastic or metal trays for litter boxes.
With the corner litter tray thats what i was worried about, i hadn't planned on getting it but as its a gift i feel like i should at least try using it haha but if its not likely to be used i guess its not worth spending her money.

The lamps box says its suitable for spot lights up to 150W and supports an E27 bulb fitting...I remember specifically looking for a 10" dome but the box says 8.5" and amazon says its 9". woops. Is that still ok?
Should i get a stand or a cage so i don't have to balance it on top of the cage? If i clamp it it sits at an angle so i'd prefer to just place it on top.
(I have no idea how to specifically reply to someone so they know i've replied, sorry)
catbrains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Lilysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 11,963
Default

With the shape & structure of a Zoozone, I would think an 8.5" lamp should be just fine. The 10" is usually recommended because it helps spread the heat out more evenly, especially with an open cage. But Zoozones are a little more enclosed, so it should hold heat in decently anyway. You shouldn't need more than a 100-watt bulb, and depending on the temperature of the room, could possibly get away with a 60-watt one.

It shouldn't hurt to balance it on the top of the wire part. Just make sure it's set up so that it won't be bumped so that it ends up on any of the plastic parts. Even the lamp gets warm enough to scorch plastic, though the bulb is the hottest part. I had a lamp melt a hole in a fleece blanket that fell against it when I was getting Lily out for bonding time. I was very relieved that that night was a short bonding time instead of a multiple-hour one, so I caught it before there was anything more dangerous than a holey blanket.

I don't know if it'd work for the 8.5" (if the clamp will reach), but with my 10" lamps, I could lay the lamp flat on the wires, then angle the clamp part so that I could still clamp the tip of it on a wire and hold it in place a little bit. So you could try that for some extra insurance against small bumps to the cage.
__________________
~*~*~ Kelsey ~*~*~

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
With the shape & structure of a Zoozone, I would think an 8.5" lamp should be just fine. The 10" is usually recommended because it helps spread the heat out more evenly, especially with an open cage. But Zoozones are a little more enclosed, so it should hold heat in decently anyway. You shouldn't need more than a 100-watt bulb, and depending on the temperature of the room, could possibly get away with a 60-watt one.

It shouldn't hurt to balance it on the top of the wire part. Just make sure it's set up so that it won't be bumped so that it ends up on any of the plastic parts. Even the lamp gets warm enough to scorch plastic, though the bulb is the hottest part. I had a lamp melt a hole in a fleece blanket that fell against it when I was getting Lily out for bonding time. I was very relieved that that night was a short bonding time instead of a multiple-hour one, so I caught it before there was anything more dangerous than a holey blanket.

I don't know if it'd work for the 8.5" (if the clamp will reach), but with my 10" lamps, I could lay the lamp flat on the wires, then angle the clamp part so that I could still clamp the tip of it on a wire and hold it in place a little bit. So you could try that for some extra insurance against small bumps to the cage.
Oh good I only just realized the diameter, glad it's not too bad.
Hadn't thought about the plastic however, i have two cats and one of them's already too interested in the cage. Will definitely find some way to secure it.
I did buy a 100W bulb but it turned up broken and i'm not really excited to spend 3x as much for one from the local store...can't find them anywhere except across seas ahh.
catbrains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago Il
Posts: 251
Default

I was just being nosey because it looked small to me but glad it should work for you

We keep our house on the cool side because my fiance is warm blooded so I use a hundred and fifty watt bulb in mine, I could probably do a 100 since I use a bin cage but Id rather have it run less
ceopet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Northern Wastelands
Posts: 1,922
Default

Assuming that you're London, UK, and not one of the London-namestealers, you might be able to check on the UK-centric forum to see where people are getting their bulbs from...

You could keep the corner-litterbox and use it as a dig-box during playtime instead. Fill it with smooth aquarium stones, or with fleece scraps, and hide tasty treats in it for your small friend to dig through and discover...
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Tibbers View Post
Assuming that you're London, UK, and not one of the London-namestealers, you might be able to check on the UK-centric forum to see where people are getting their bulbs from...

You could keep the corner-litterbox and use it as a dig-box during playtime instead. Fill it with smooth aquarium stones, or with fleece scraps, and hide tasty treats in it for your small friend to dig through and discover...
Thank you for the suggestion, i was considering a dig box and that is much easier than sending the whole thing back haha

I managed to get donations from my parents for a new bulb from the local pet shop, (and yes, london, uk haha) but after realizing my thermostat only takes 100w i now have a new issue. As far as i can tell the lamp is not heating the cage evenly or well? Just by putting my hand in i can tell its not getting hot enough in the corners and the general floor. The thermometer isnt changing in temp by much and the thermostat is on constantly because its not doing anything. I dont really know what to do without having to buy a whole new set up. (which until the 25th, i cant afford) its in the center of the cage (which should be keeping in heat quite well according to people?..) and i have perhaps less than a week until the hedgie gets here. should i be worried?
The highest the temp without the lamp is around 18oC (64F i think) and 22oC (71F) with
catbrains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
setup

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cage setup mellykins Toys 20 10-07-2013 02:12 PM
What is YOUR C and C cage setup? HopeB Cages 9 03-30-2013 12:13 AM
My cage setup baclover Cages 4 06-28-2011 07:45 PM
Cage Setup Brayrox Cages 4 02-01-2011 03:28 PM
Rearranging his cage setup? karidaluv Housing & Accessories 3 08-23-2010 05:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum