My cage setup and fan question - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My cage setup and fan question

I just wanted to post a few pictures of my cage setup for my little boy that I'm getting this Sunday!! He will be about 8 weeks when I get him

Right now the smaller adorable radish shaped bowl I am planning on using for treats, and I have a water bottle set up, but I will have to see how he reacts to it and how well it works. I’m also worried that it’s too high up for him to comfortably drink out of

Please let me know if you notice anything bad, but be nice

*Also, i have an oscillating standing fan in my room, it obviously isn’t right in front of the cage, but if the wind from it gets to the cage is that bad for him? I am not worried about temperature, just the actual wind/breeze itself. I can move it easily and probably will, I'm just curious

christine. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My cage setup and fan question

It's possible that the wheel could be a problem. It's the silent spinner wheel and I've heard that hedgehog's can get their toe nails caught in the little gaps. It's certainly safer then the wire ones or ones with bars but it's still a risk. Also I had a silent spinner before I found out how bad they are and it's impossible to clean. The cage looks big enough for a flying saucer wheel (which I use now and love) or a bucket wheal or cake walk supreme wheel seem to be very popular.

I think you are right to be worried about the water bottle being too high, hedgehog's can't really bend their necks back to I doubt he will be able to reach it. I would use a bowl anyway they are much better and easier to clean. The ends of water bottles gets all gooped up and they are dangerous for hedgehogs.

EDIT wanted to add that I think the cage looks great besides those things which are easy and common mistakes for new owners. It looks like you've done some research. Good luck with your new little friend.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rescue

I have the same radish bowl for my hedgehogs food and love it. It's just the right size and very easy to clean.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok the bottle is going to go right away and i'll look for a different wheel, I'll try using the raddish bowl for my water instead

Any opinions on the fan?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think...Since you have an igloo for your hedgie, the fan "should" be fine during the day, though I would have the opening of the igloo facing away from where the wind would be coming from. At night however, I would turn the fan off(or have it facing elsewhere), so it doesn't keep your hedgie from coming out because of the breeze, and less risk of your hedgie getting chilled from the breeze. ^_^

If you do a search(located on the top right corner) for "silent spinner" there will be many opinions on why others don't like it. Personally I chose not to risk it from reading through threads here, so I also do not have personal experience from it, only taking the advice of those here.

Personally, I'd take out the water bottle and use a bowl, especially since you are using liners. In order to drink from a bottle, hedgehogs have to tilt their heads at an unnatural position to get at the water, and you will have to constantly monitor the tip, in case the ball gets stuck and your hedgie gets dehydrated. And then there's the possibility of chipped teeth and cut tongues. You can do a search for bowls and water bottles for many pros and cons of each. However, here's the "bowl vs water bottle" thread from awhile back:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...l+water+bottle
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rescue

Exclamation Re: My cage setup and fan question

The radish bowl is great for food but I would not recommend it for water. Mine loves to tip it and have some kibble fall out in front of him. It's looks really cute like he is playing a slot machine.
For water I use a low, round ceramic cat bowl for water. I have never had it tip over once.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

As it's been said before, many hedgeog drink more water out of the bowl because it' a more normal position. As for the Silent Spiner, I also have one and I must say it's not the best wheel ever (specialy when it's on a stand like mine). Yes toenail can be caught and it seems harder to clean, but I would maybe just slowly save money for a better wheel.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herisson
The radish bowl is great for food but I would not recommend it for water. Mine loves to tip it and have some kibble fall out in front of him. It's looks really cute like he is playing a slot machine.
For water I use a low, round ceramic cat bowl for water. I have never had it tip over once.
I have the same smallest size ceramic crock bowl from the dollar store for both food and water. And while Shinjy has tipped his food bowl occasionally(once every 2-3 weeks sometimes), he has never ever tipped over his water bowl.

I think their food bowls tend to get tipped because they like digging right in and rummaging around for their favourite kibble. So their weight leans on the edge of the food bowl more, thus tipping it, which also allows them to find the kibble they want easier
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyrios
the easiest way to remedy that would to be getting a heavier bowl. The bolw he has now looks like it can bee spilled easily. I suggest getting one similar to the water bowl you have, or getting a low rising ceramic bowl. Make sure that on a ceramic dish the edges do not extend past the base like this: \_/
His bowl should look like this: |_|
The problem with the radish bowl for water is that it does not go straight up on the side but flairs out at the top making it easy to tip over. It's not easy to see in the pictures. For food it's great!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just a little update. I replaced the silent spinner wheel with a flying saucer one, and took out the water bottle

thank you all for your help

now hopefully i will be able to return some of it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in