working on cage set up plans - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default working on cage set up plans

So sometime in June or July (I am waiting for a specific litter to be born) we are getting a new Hedgie! For a brief period of time as a child I lived with my aunt & uncle who had some & 1 was "mine" while I lived there. I am going through a breeder, and am very excited! Already working on gathering up my hedgie stuff even though the litter isn't even born yet!
I found this cage set up online & liked it immediately, I saved the picture & took it into our local Home Depot & asked for help figuring out how to build the "ramp house". the materials are downstairs, I hope to convince my hubby to help me put it all together! Then I want to make some hangers for the little hedgehog feeding containers I found at a local pet store.
My next project will be the little fleece cube hidies & also I need to get a wheel. Which is better the silent spinner or the comfort wheel? that saucer one just 1 look and I said no way in **** will I buy it!
Another ? for you all... with the fact I'll be getting a baby as soon as it's ready to leave momma, would I be better to get kitten food to start with (& if so how long will he/she eat it b4 moving onto adult cat food)? I have 2 adult cats on a high quality natural cat food so it's already in the house!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hedgehog set up.jpg (49.7 KB, 44 views)
MAMAMIA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: working on cage set up plans

I think I have the same cage and I like it. I wish it was wider, but the rectangle fits in my apartment better. You're not using wood for the little ramp house, right? What kind of bedding are you planning to use?

Silent spinners are dangerous for hedgehogs, and I don't know about comfort wheels, but it looks like they have ridges all over and I'm not sure that's the best idea. Look into getting a Carolina Storm Wheel: http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/.

I don't really know if babies need different food, so I'll let someone else weigh in on that. If this is your first hedgehog, read through LizardGirl's hedgehog guide: http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/files ... index.html. It's thorough and extremely helpful.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

If you're going to make the ramp and upper level you're going to need to completely enclose it so your hedgie doesn't fall off and get hurt. Hedgies have been known to break bones with very low falls and they have poor depth perception so often just walk of the edge of upper levels without realizing it.

Those food dishes in the picture are bird dishes, you can probably find them in a pet store but be prepared for your hedgie to push them up out of the hangers and dumping them.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

A lot of people get the Carolina storm wheel, but it can be a little pricy so an alternative would be to buy the comfort wheel or make your own Carolina storm wheel ( you can find tutorials on Youtube).
velooyuotn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for all your suggestions! I will for sure put a lip around the upper level & the ramp! I have some sort of grip pad to cut to put on the ramp instead of the "strips of wood" it was recommended by the lady helping me at the store who owns hamsters & made something similar!
Ok so the Comfort wheel or the Carolina wheel! I will see if the comfort wheel I can get here at my local store, otherwise I will order the other one!
about the food dishes... what would your recommend? instead of the hangers should I maybe get some double sided sticky tape or magnets to hold them down to the top of the upper level? Or seeing as I have a bunch of wood leftover should I build a dish holder into the top?
For the house I am using Shelving wood which is a sealed plywood.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

in the small pet section of petsmart they have bowls that are 1 inch high and are ceramic and the hedgies can not tip it over. I use them for both food and water.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Most people use ceramic dishes, but they're like $3-4, so if you already have dishes and the wood I think a wooden holder would be cheaper!
velooyuotn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

You will need more than a "lip" around the edge of the upper level, it needs to be completely enclosed so that there is no way your hedgie can climb over it. The walls of the upper level need to go right to the top of the cage and the ramp itself needs to be enclosed.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! I will modify the "house & ramp" with your suggestions! Hopefully I can convince hubby to recut the wood! (otherwise I'm sure home depot will!) I have to go back anyways for some more hinges to make the top of the house open for ease of feeding & stuff!
After doing some more research I've decided to order a Caroline Storm Wheel. the Comfort wheel didn't have as good of reviews & I like supporting small business as I also run my own business!
Now to wait "patiently" for the litter to even be born LOL
Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

We make and sell bucket wheels as well as ship them. We shipped one to Edmonton last week and it was $12 for shipping. We are located in B.C.

If you would like to order 1 contact us through our website http://www.hoppinhedgehogs.ca

Hoppin Hedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in