Multi-level cages - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Multi-level cages

You got youre new pal ( like I did) And you think of giving him multi level cage?
Then keep reading!

First of all I made this topic cuz i saw that the other forum has a topic like this... so Why not have one here!
This should also help people getting new cages or making one!

Why would you even have a multi level cage???
Well the most obvious reason is when your house has a limited floor space (small apartments etc.) So you think " why build sideways when you can build upwards!"
Another one is when you have a dedicated pet room and it would look UGLY if something was out of the order ( this reason is complete stupidity )
Or you just got the biggest mistake of buying a cage for climbing animals ( e.g. ferret nation ) Maybe because the petshop guys said it was good or i dont know

So should you have multi-level cages for hedgehogs?
No, Its best to AVOID them because hedgehogs have poor eyesight, which means they can trip easily and plummet straight down.
Also they are excellent climbers! Well... when only going up... So with that in mind best to avoid them

What if I have a multi-level cage?
So youre still using a multi-level cage?!?! I dont know the reason why but Im pretty sure what I've metioned above havent changed your mind
ok so make xure that your second, thirdd or fourth or fifth or more levels are "fenced" or "Walled" like this channel http://www.youtube.com/piggiepigpigs( I know she doesnt have hedgehogs but thats how a second level should be) Then " stairs " should be tubes
like this one http://www.petsathome.com/shop/guine...glesafe-106365 ( Iknow its not cheap) then support it with barbeque sticks or cardboard if it doesnt support itself... That way it cant fall off the " stairs "

WELL I HAVE A COUPLE OF WISHES:

first i wish i helped( if you say thanks.... well Youre gladly wecome
second I WISH youre not gonna use multi level cages
And last I wish you and youre hedgehog live happily!!!!

Right I live in a tropical country so I dont have the heating and natural light problem

Spike's owner oh yeah!
lanceawesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Multi-level cages

Good post.

Another reason not to have a multi level cage is because some hedgehogs simply will not use levels. Going through all the effort to build a hedgehog safe multi-level cage might be a waste of time.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the space to go horizontal. Sophie's two cages sit on six foot tables and connect with a bridge. That said, I am not opposed to sound designs that go vertical. For me, the big design issue would be ease of complete cage access for regular maintenance and cleaning.

The eyesight issue doesn't bother me. Sophie 'sees' every inch of her cages just fine in pitch-black darkness. Many animals with sensitive whiskers and sniffers know exactly what is around them. Blind hedgies are reported to do very well.

Good point that hedgies that climb so very easily, often don't come down very safely - but cage design can remove the risks.

The suggested tunnel may work fine. One would have to try it out. But I would be concerned about ease and efficiency of cleaning all those ridges. Expanding tunnels are cool and convenient, but that would be a concern for me as a first choice.

Nancy makes a good point about whether the hedgie will use the second level. But you don't know til you try. When I built Sophie's second cage, I moved her food and water over there and she splits her time between cages. She runs in Cage 1 and does most of her hiding in the PVC tunnel in that cage. She sleeps in one of the tunnels in Cage 2.

I wish that I knew how to make some kind of clicker so that I could know how many times she crosses the bridge each night. Anybody with ideas on that? Her bridge is coroplast, about 6" square.

Going vertical would demand a lot more attention to design. If one is willing to work out a design, vertical seems okay to me.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with the comment above.

Yes multi level cages aren't ideal, but if done correctly it shouldn't be an issue.

I myself am thinking about adding a small upper level, just enough for them to walk up and get a treat and walk back down, it wouldn't be very high off the ground and would be secure for the hedgies to go in and out of.

Plus people just want to give their hedgie more floor space, which is never a bad idea. If they're willing to put in the work, and it safe, why not!
velooyuotn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by velooyuotn
I agree with the comment above.

Yes multi level cages aren't ideal, but if done correctly it shouldn't be an issue.

I myself am thinking about adding a small upper level, just enough for them to walk up and get a treat and walk back down, it wouldn't be very high off the ground and would be secure for the hedgies to go in and out of.

Plus people just want to give their hedgie more floor space, which is never a bad idea. If they're willing to put in the work, and it safe, why not!
I agree with you I also sometimes think of putting an upper level but I still dont have the time

Right I live in a tropical country so I dont have the heating and natural light problem

Spike's owner oh yeah!
lanceawesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had a small loft for Sonic in his C&C cage and he would sleep up there. I used the flex tube thing that you can get for guinea pigs at petsmart and petco as a ramp/tunnel to get up there.
Sugargliderlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was using a 3 level cages and my hedgie loved it, however i was using the metal flex tubes which were not consistent once you bent them out and were very hard to clean. On top of that it because the hiding spot that no one could get to making socialization difficult for my previously neglected hedgie. She liked the muli-levels but it really made things harder especially heating.

I agree it can be done safely and mine was completely safe but after building a C&C at home this last weekend I wish i hadn't spent the extra money on the vertical setup.

also if you are going to use tubes you can use something like the link below that comes apart for cleaning however they are more expensive.

http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list ... e-maze.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in