Hedgehog Central banner

Planning my new cage

22K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  SouthernSweet 
#1 ·
So, my sister isn't using her c&c cage stuff/supplies so i am redesigning it and making one for Thimble. :D
i saw this and wanted to do this setup:

except the 2nd story would be a little different...

i have NO sewing skill at all whatsoever! Does anyone sew these types of liners for a reasonable cost?

See less See more
#3 ·
how is the second story going to be different?
I've never seen a corner cage like that, but it looks great.
I make fleece supplies, as do a few others on here :) Once you've completed your design, you can send me measurements for pricing.

#4 ·
Thimble has never tried an escape, i really don't think he would. If i had high enough coroplast could that prevent any possible attempts if he ever got curious?
My house is already really warm (75 degrees F) and i would have his heating pad under his house (its animal friendly with all cords covered). Do you think i would need a heater? What kind if so?

I can't find the picture i based the 2nd story on... darnnn. But it isnt so narrow.

#5 ·
Do you have a thermometer inside the cage? Especially if it's on the floor, the cage temperature can be very different from the temperature of a house's thermostat that's set in the wall at head-height. Unless you live somewhere that stays warm year-round, yes, you'll need some sort of heating set up. A heating pad isn't the best option, because they don't heat the air of the cage. Also I wouldn't suggest having it in the cage itself - under the coroplast would be fine, but directly under the bed can be a problem. I know a breeder who lost a baby (~6 weeks old) because a heating pad malfunctioned and burned all the skin off his underside.

If you're not using a lid, then definitely have at least 8" of coroplast on the walls.

#6 ·

AHA! found it! It was actually "shaelikestaquitos" cage design (just the second story)

I don't have a thermometer but i should buy one. My cage is elevated in my room on a table.(we have dogs and i dont want Thimble to be stessed by them)
Even if the heating pad is made for the inside of the cage? It is a special one for small animals... but if it could be dangerous i would put it underneath for sure.
Outside the weather gets very cold but my house definately stays the same temp, unless its summer and its warmer.
I don't mind having coroplast higher, so that sounds good.

#7 ·
First off, that cage with the pink fleece is ridiculously awesome.

Secondly, depending on what kind of liner you make, you don't necessarily need sewing skills as much as cutting skills. Depending on how well potty trained your hedgie is, a single layer of fleece can be all you need.

#8 ·
I wish Thimble was potty trained. He seems to go on his wheel for the most part, but i can't really tell. (i currently use aspen shavings)
So i think i would need more than a layer of fleece.

What would you guys reccomend for another heat source, if needed?

#9 ·
I did some research and decided to get 2 100 watt ceramic heat emitters for a heat source. Will that be good? Could 1 be ok? I am also going to buy a Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt thermometer if i can afford one (maybe my mom will buy it)
Besides that, i think i would be set and then i can send my measurements to get liners sewed! Yay! I'm so excited! We are in the process of moving so it could be a month or so till i start/finish, but when i do i will def. post pics!!!

IF you have any other suggestions, i would be happy to hear other ideas-please post! :D

#11 ·
If the cage is in a small room, try a small regulated space heater :) I haven't had a single problem with hibernation attempts since having one, and I don't mind the cost since it heats the room I sleep in. But I do check the thermometer every time I pass the cage, out of habit, to be super safe (so like 5 to 10 times a day haha).

#13 ·
My room is actually pretty big itself... So i'm not sure if i could get away with one heater or not. If i put my heating pads ( i have 2 currently) underneath the coroplast to be super safe along with one heater, would that do the trick? My room is fairly warm anyway, so would that work?

#14 ·
I vote to avoid heating pads since they don't heat the air. If your room is large, but is just one room, a regular (not mini) space heater would work just fine on its own :)

#15 ·
Would you recommend a space heater over ceramic heat emitters? I don't necessarily want my whole room warm, just Thimble to be comfortable....

Darnnnn... I have two heating pads for small animals and have NO IDEA what to do with them nowww... :|
hmm

#17 ·
I have the giraffe fabric and it's great if you like neutral, but bland if you love color! The leopard print is a little brighter.
I did have a customer just receive a snuggle bag with the giraffe fabric and they like it.
The boxes pattern is one I've been thinking about buying, it's pretty :)

I don't recommend one heating device over the other, but I feel like the heat is better regulated with something that heats the whole room v. just a corner of it. CHE's are designed with reptiles in mind; reptiles bask, hedgehogs do not.

If you do like your room cooler than 75 F, go for the CHE because your room will be cool but the cage will be warm. That's the only complaint I have with the space heater - I heat the cage to 75 but that's a tad warm to me sometimes.

#20 ·
Slipped my mind.....

I have THREE terriers.... ya know, the ones bred to hunt small animals!

I know a C&C cage isn't strong enough normally, but we had 3 guinea pigs in the previous one, elevated 2 ft off the ground, and the dogs didn't attempt to get in. I could always shut my door, but I was thinking I could use a gate we have either at my door, or surrounding my cage to prevent the pups from trying. They never have showed interest in my little ball of spikes... but I could NEVER live with Thimble getting hurt....

Does this sound safe? Is their any other suggestions other than keeping the dogs out and elevating the cage higher? The dogs are 2 westies and a cairn terrier...

#25 ·
I found a rather cheap solution to climbing when I had C&C.... what I really wanted was to put plexiglass on the cubes to prevent climbing, but that stuff is $$$$$$$$. So instead, I used zip ties to attach clear vinyl from the fabric store :) see-through and easy to clean! I dunno if I've shared that idea with you before but maybe it would ease your mind when it comes to your little climber :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.