What's a safe heated viv / vivarium to use for cold basement room? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation What's a safe heated viv / vivarium to use for cold basement room?

I live in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.. Summers get pretty hot (AC running most days) and winters get pretty cold. First-time hedgehog owner, here. I have had my new hedge for the past few days. I'm so anxious, I constantly feel sick and can't sleep because of the heating situation.

Right now my 1.5 y/o male hedgehog is in an upstairs guest room in a 16"x32" plastic Sterilite tub. It's cozy and retains heat well, but it's small. I have been able to keep temp between 73-77 F (I think he prefers lower range, from what I've observed?). He's very active and likes exploring so I would like a bigger space. There was an incident of him tipping his tub over and nearly escaping.

However, my family wants him out of the guest room. The only other room I could use is my basement bedroom. It gets chilly being downstairs, esp with vents and window in the room. Obviously would put cage up on table, in innermost corner away from any drafts.

I have a space heater with an adjustable thermostat, and two CHE bulbs (150w and 100w) in 8.5" domes, both attached to a thermostat. Have not tested the heat set up downstairs yet because it's been very rainy since I got him, and I don't want to take away his heat source.

I'm looking to buy, modify, or D.I.Y a safe and sturdy cage with actual walls to better retain heat. A vivarium with plenty of space (yet not too big to heat) and front sliding doors is ideal. A note: would I need to put the heat lamps INSIDE the vivarium, keeping the top panel intact? Or would a partial mesh top for the heat lamps be better? How do I ensure ventilation? Should I worry about this set up ever overheating?
9thousandlives is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Make a viv 4ft or bigger
Up to 4ft 100w is fine
Bigger 150w would be better
So long as its on a thermostat it wont over heat.
It would be a lot better if you have a solid roof you will need to change your holder to one you screw onto the wood, and you will need a cage more to protect you from burning yourself.
Cut out a circle and cover it over with mesh, small squared mesh is best. 4ft you need 4 vents.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in