Climbing Hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Emc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Climbing Hedgehog?

Hi, I’m looking to upgrade my hedgehogs home right now as it is a bit on the small side.. I’m interested in c&c cages as they are cheap and easy to set up: But my only concern is that my hedgehog Peggy loves to climb: out of the tub, on her cage walls, on my clothes, on pillows, etc. I’m positive that she will climb out of the c&c cage because of their open top. Is this just a phase? She’s still pretty young, only a few months. Has anyone else had climbing hedgies? Thanks!
calicloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

My old hedgehog (Rest In Peace) LOVED to climb. I made him a c&c cage, securely closed it and put a top on that I could remove, he only got out the first night (my fault) but not after that.
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Some hogs love to climb. Regardless of whether or not yours is a climber, you should always have a secure lid on the cage. It only takes them doing it once for something bad to happen. C&C cages have some easy solutions for lids though. I used wire shelves like you would put in a closet on mine. If you look back at my posts, you should see pictures of it.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

If you have a hedgehog who will climb regardless of the size of the enclosure (as it can often be a sign of boredom, and that their cage isnt big enough!), then the safest thing to do is cover the cage bars. Putting a lid on a cage only solves the issue of escaping; but they can still climb, fall down, and end up hurting themselves - they are terrestrial animals after all. You can wrap the inside of the enclosure in fleece, or even make high coroplast sides. But a hedgehog should not be allowed to climb the bars of their enclosure, so regardless of what you choose, the bars need to be covered in some way.
Askeptosaurus likes this.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Our Gracie kept climbing out of her C&C cage too. We ended up lining the sides with smooth cardboard that extended just out of her reach. And our biggest climber, Durin is kept in a plastic storage tote from Wal-mart with smooth sides. These cages are a bit small but each of them gets to run around the floor a fully hog-proofed room on alternate nights so it's not such a big deal.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in