i don't know what to do... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2019, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default i don't know what to do...

hi guys. ��

I am moving to a new house and my hedgie NEEDS a new cage.

There's just a little problem...
I live in a rural town with very much limited small pet care shops or anything like that. The shops do not have anything that would be big enough for a hedgehog cage that i could buy, the closest thing would be a bird cage and they are too small.

I do not have access to online shopping like you guys where you can just go online to whatever shop you like and purchase an amazing hedgehog cage and not even have to build it. And by that I mean the online shops do not ship to where I live, and if they do, it would be extremely expensive.

Anyway, my point is that I do not have access to any type of bought cage so vivariums, store bought cages, c&c grids, Ikea shelving units changed into a cage, etc.

I need to build everything from scratch. And I do know about bin cages but I cannot find any bins that are big enough.
But it is very important that the cage is big enough for my baby so that he can have a happy life in his and my new home.

So if any of you have any experience with building your hedgie's cage from scratch, or know like a website i can go to to find plans, or a video tutorial, that would help me tremendously.

Thank u sm. xxx

Last edited by HedgieHog05; 09-03-2019 at 02:33 AM.
HedgieHog05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

A vivarium is the easiest to make from scratch, I dont have links but I cant help a bit from what I know

Do you have any shops that you can sliding cut - either glass, plexiglass or perspex thats one big thing you need, you also need some sort of railing, it has to be able to have 2 slots for both the doors (sliding doors are a bit easier to put on)

If these arent available then you need some other way like doors to open and shut. Which I can't imagine being easy to find.

You also need wood obviously, you might find thick chipboard wood the easier option especially for when it come to attaching the che. You also need a drill with different size drill bits and a saw - I'll assume you do if you want make a cage from scratch.

You need a bit of wood for the base measured to big enough for your hedgehog but still room in your house for it. You then need to make your sides, i'd make the whole viv about 50cm tall it then gives plenty of room the che to not be too close to anything or the hedgehog.
So you need your long back one with the 2 sides. And then the front look at the picture for because I cant explain it well - you sorta come up a bit from the bottom and down a bit from the top

Theres these wooden peg things I cant remember the name of them but you drill your holes on the base and bottom of the side not all the way through but big enough for the wooden bit and then thats what keeps it up. And you need the top and you do the same.

You also need vents I'd do at least 4 2 on the top 2 on the bottom, its prob easier to cut a square then use 1cm mesh to close it off but still get airflow, you can always cut a little to make it bigger for the probe of the thermostat

Does anything not make any sense?

The other thing you can do is look at furniture you already have and see if there is anything big enough that could be converted into a viv that you don't really need that bit of space. And then look at how you can add doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15674966454862454498118710614500_1567496671876.jpg (93.3 KB, 11 views)
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 05:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

The easiest thing I can think of is to literally build a box; pick up a couple sheets of wood from a local hardware store, and just screw them together in a box shape. Melamine is heavy, but it has a water resistant coating so it would eliminate the need for that additional step.

^ Something that simple would require zero DIY skill and the only tools you'd need is a screwdriver. Basic, but an option if you're not handy and dont have access to a glass cutter.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

If you struggle with coming up with a design to build...

How big are the plastic bins that you have been able to find? Have you thought about connecting bins if they are big enough. While 1 bin may not provide enough space, you can connect bins together with PVC pipe or those plastic ferret tubes. I once had 4 bins connected, and a 5th added that went around a corner. Three with straight pipe, 1 with an elbow & a T shaped ferret tube with a cap that I could remove to allow the hedgehogs to free roam my bedroom when I wanted. You can use various sizes. One rescue I took in came in with 2 large bins for the wheel/play area, and a small bin with a lid for sleeping in.

While I prefer other cages now, bins are expandable and you can get fairly creative with their setup.
nikki likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you for all your replies! they are all very helpful. I definitely think that the vivariums are a good idea and the bin cages with the tunnels because my hedgehog loves tunnels so that would be great, and the melamine is a great idea. I am definitely going to use it if I decide to build a cage with wood. It would make it so much easier. I feel like I now have options and it makes me feel a lot better. Thank you guys so much. xx
HedgieHog05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

If you go with the viv you will want to seal the edges with aquarium sealant. And cove the walls and sides with something like sticky back plastic or lino to make it water proof, easier to clean and protect the wood more.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in