My piggy cage - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My piggy cage

Hi, I am new to small pet world. This is my piggy cage, while waiting my 12inches wheel to arrive, then put a litter box underneath while pine wood pellet, is it ok?

Need comment on it, is it too small for her to live? The dimension for the cage is 76cm x 47cm. I live in a country only has 1 summer season throughout the whole year and my room temperature is around 30c degree without air conditioning (even with it only help to cool down 0.5 or 1 degree). Need to know from ya how do you keep your hedgehog cage cool at all time during summer season.

She is recovering from a skin infection. And also I discovered she drink a little less, maybe due to I changed hers food recently, which I have no idea, so I put another water bowl to monitor. Am trying to let her used to my scent more often hope she will get close to me soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190825_174156_1566726172156.jpg (61.0 KB, 40 views)
zinwei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

Wheel size is perfect and If I remember right the pine pellet cat litter is fine.

That cage is wayyyy to small
7642cm only gives 3,192cm floor space which is by far too small.
I believe the absolute minimum is 100x51cm which gives 5,100cm floor space although bigger is better. And this is actually debated about even being too small for them.
115x49cm gives 5,635cm floor space which is okay but some people still think its too small.
115x61cm gives 7,015cm floor space which is even better for them and is more ideal space for them.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

This will help for information on keeping your hog cooler and knowing when they are too hot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1564057297680_1566731823493.jpg (80.3 KB, 30 views)

Old 08-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

It would be good to take the bottle waterer out and only use the bowl for water. There have been problems with the bottles causing broken teeth and them getting their tounges stuck by the ball in the end of it. And like Ria suggested a bigger pen with more space would be better and maybe some toys and tunnels for entertainment. They like to crawl through and under things .
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your advice! Now I put a ceramic food bowl (living world) under the igloo for her to sleep in, hope that help a bit to cool her down.

I will start thinking how to give her a bigger space as I have limited space in my living place.

Anyway thanks for all of your advices!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (3)_1566747288903.jpeg (7.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

The 115x49 is like 3.8ft by 1.6ft its not that big but its big enough for a hedgehog. I have a vivarium that size on a chest of draws in my room. (I did have to add a bit of solid wood to support part of it but that was minor)

And the 100x51cm is a large zoozone cage (if you can get it) they arent too big either and easy to fit in limited space.

Definitely look in to it. They need all that space because they grow pretty big they are super active little animals.

She will outgrow that bowl really fast so I'd still look into a ceramic tile for when she does.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I will figure it out these few days what to do with the living place of her. I got a corner in da house I have yet clean it up to put the cage there as I put under the ceiling fan now hopefully to solve the summer issue before move over there. Hopefully I can get some tiles as here they do not sell in pieces.

How about aluminum plate that for hamster? does that help?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi! I think that just a water dish is better, as hedgehogs can get their tongues stuck in bottles
Spiky_Floof<3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019, 05:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

I've had to google what the hamster aluminium plate is, but it should work the same, you could give it a go an see.
I've only just had the change to search it.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

An update to my piggy cage, and her mother. I will replace the hideout with a handmade pocket-like as it is too big in a small cage and they keep burrow and hide under the pad.

Previously I was using fleece liner as the bedding but found out is hard to remove the quills before get them to wash, so change to training pad but they keep burrow underneath. I clean the cage once a week, their **** is a mess!

I know the cage is small and is insufficient for each of them but I would like to hear your advise and recommendation.

Any comments are much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 177409072_1583061223236.jpg (226.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg wx_camera_1583056824992_1583061240193.jpg (931.3 KB, 23 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in