Cage Setup - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2019, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cage Setup

Hi! I'm getting a hedgehog in a few weeks after years of research. I'm using a c&c type cage because that's what we had for my guinea pig a few years back, but I need to get a new coroplast base. Everywhere I look to buy some online it says that it'll come in multiple pieces and I was wondering if it would be ok to make the base out of 2 pieces or if I should go to a sign printer and try to get a 53-39 inch sheet? I have plenty of time to order it online if that's a good option, but I'm just not sure if using multiple pieces would work, or how to put it together if it does. Thank you for any help you can offer.
aurora2022 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had a CC cage for my rats, with a tray bottom and I would throw fleece down. opted out of that cage for me new hedge (never again will I get another one though!) because i wanted something longer. I didn't realize they made huge messes so I like the longer cage to have bigger litter pans. Good luck!
melvic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

I think if you can get 2 to fit perfect in the bottom so they don't move it would be fine. But I've never used a c&c cage so I'm not 100% sure so hopefully someone will say if its wrong.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a coroplast base for my hedgehog cage and use fleece liners. I also had a C&C cage with fleece for my guinea pigs. I think you will find that hedgehogs are waaayy easier to clean up after than piggies.

I don't think it will be any big deal if you overlap the coroplast pieces and use duct or packaging tape on the underside. With a fleece liner, my coroplast has yet to get even remotely wet with the hedgehog.

The possible problem with using the cube grids is that the openings are too large. A hedgehog could get hurt trying to squeeze through. To prevent this, the sides of the coroplast will need to be taller than was needed for a piggie cage. If your hedgehog is a climber, the sides will have to be even taller. So, in effect, you could wind up with almost a fish tank effect since all 4 sides will be solid.

You could cut air holes in the coroplast sides to allow for airflow though.

You'll also need a lid which will serve as a place for your CHE.

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Update

I think I've decided to go with the midwest guinea pig cage, but make the top from the cubes and then put a fleece liner in on top of the canvas one that comes with the setup.
It seems easier in terms of moving as I'm a student and it will be difficult to fit a large piece of coroplast in my car with everything else I have to bring back and fourth. And because I'll need to bring it to school with me and then bring it home for vacations and when I come home for the summer.
Thank you for the advice!!
aurora2022 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
c&c cage, new owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in