Buddy’s cage, I need advice though... 🙂 - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ria

Okay so the information here is great. But these two links will help you a lot more for looking for foods

The first one I think you should defiantly have a read of to get a good food.
The second on is more detailed and more wordy, so you dont have to now.
But I think these explain what your looking for in a food better than anyone can on here.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...#/topics/23034

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru.../topics/114530

To be honest I actually LOVE Meckis cage its the only fleece lined cage I like too, especially because she came up with the dig box house, I've always thought this as amazing haha. When using fleece like Mecki has its really important to provide somewhere they can be natural and dig and burrow (people who dont are the ones that more commonly have liner divers who are trying to do natural behaviour) I don't know but I thing the way that its covered makes them feel like they can use it more - from stories anyway haha.

But personally I prefer loose bedding over fleece liners, because in the summer and winter it lets them regulate their own temperatures better, and they can burrow wherever they want through their whole cage.
I use animal safe shredded cardboard. Its mainly used for horse bedding so if you type in shredded horse bedding your more likely to find it. If your in the UK though just type in finacard the actual website is called finacard but they have changed the product to softacard, its the same thing its just change the name and the way its shredded.

I'd hate to use carefresh as the bedding I think things like carefresh, clean and cosy are better used as litter. I mix it with back to nature recycled paper pellets.

I LOVE to sew, and creating toys is one of my big things, Holly actually has more hand made fleece toys than she does anything else !!
I just get an idea in my head and then create it, and if it works then it stays, and it doesn't I take it apart and try again. I do have a site where I sell them through the UK (well its starting as just the UK anyway)
I wanted to sell templates and the how to do it too but we needed to think about it more. One idea is a cookie toy. I love this one because its like endless on the ways you can do it.

I'd show you the cage and some the toys I made but I still cant add the pictures !!
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecki View Post
Oh, the cage photo above was taken at night and I can see how it could look like a tank. It really isn't though. Here are some clearer photos. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG]
I looked at the “edge” more closely and it’s just because it has padding that it looks like an added edge. LOL Oops!
So the tunnel in red (w/paw prints) looks very sturdy, how did it get it that way?! I love it!
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddysmom View Post
I looked at the “edge” more closely and it’s just because it has padding that it looks like an added edge. LOL Oops!
So the tunnel in red (w/paw prints) looks very sturdy, how did it get it that way?! I love it!
Thanks!

I used 1/2" high density foam. I happened to take a pic while I was making it which I've attached. It's the green stuff.

I used the same foam to make a carry bag which I'll show too. That foam makes the sides & bottom stiff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190111_191142.jpg (119.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190116_121152.jpg (124.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190116_135854.jpg (176.2 KB, 9 views)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

And here I am who can't sew at all so all Igor's stuff is bought and not fancy. T^T
Brooke Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Lancelot View Post
And here I am who can't sew at all so all Igor's stuff is bought and not fancy. T^T
You dont need to sew to make things for them !! Theres a lot you can do without it.
Sewing isnt that hard if you get taught right though. But I've always been brought up learning how to sew and knit so I guess I'll always see it as easy.
But as said theres a lot you can do
without sewing.
Mecki likes this.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

My aunt did try to teach me how to knit once...
Let's just say I don't have the talent for it 😂
I'm useless with my hands.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ria

Haha dont worry my nan was teaching me at 3, and my mum picked it up to teach me once she died. I'm always dropping or adding stitches😂 but I'm getting better with more practice.

I'm not perfect at sewing yet either !! I still have to ask my mum to help me, but sewing is far easier than knitting !!

You'll have a load of easter egg boxes. They can easily be turned into hides, hidey dig boxes ect
Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Lancelot View Post
Since fleece doesn't fray at the edges, you don't need to sew to use it!

You can cut out a square to make a hedgehog blanket/cover -- no sewing needed!

Or you can cut strips to make a dig box or braid those strips to make a toy. Or make a fleece pom-pom type toy following the attached photos as a guide (1st 2 pics).

I believe Ria has experimented with quite a bit more in making fleece toys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190116_172405.jpg (192.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190116_172754.jpg (192.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190424_132152.jpg (118.0 KB, 7 views)

http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Last edited by Mecki; 04-24-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ria

I have done a lot of paying and experimenting with making toys out of fleece. Using sewing and not using sewing.
To be honest I think sewing just makes your options wider, but there is plenty you can do without it.

Like some of Holly's hats, I'm not gonna like I have actually glued them together because I couldn't be bothered to get my sewing stuff and my fabric glue was right near me (Hot glue guns can be used too just make sure you use non toxic glue sticks)

I could easily do a whole thread of fleece toys and non fleece things with how to do them that doesn't involve sewing all great for hedgehogs. I also have a lot where it does involve sewing.
I have a very creative mind, and very experimental nature, I make most of them while cuddling Holly in the evenings too. They aren't hard to make and never take me long.

I made Holly's vivarium curtains to block out any light because theres always a small light in the room so just to make sure its dark for her I made her some curtains. (This does involve sewing)

Last edited by Ria; 04-24-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

What does the hog do with these toys? Like, have you recorded yours playing with it before?
I'd love to see it, since Igor is as playful as a fish ;-;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in