Interested in this cage...Opinions? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Interested in this cage...Opinions?

I don't currently have a Hedgehog, but as I am planning to get one soon(ish) I've been looking at the housing options available and have come across one I really love but since I have never had a Hedgehog before I'd like some opinions from those who are more knowledgeable on the subject then myself!

https://www.hamster-homes.com/shop/s...home-120x60cm/

Here's some product information from the site!

Product Details

Made from 19mm solid timber frame, 18mm timber panelling, 25x13mm (1″ x 1/2″) galvanised zinc wire mesh, perspex front panel and plywood base.

Base interior treated with pet-safe, clear matt varnish to protect from staining.

External dimensions: Length 120cm, Width 60cm, Height 40cm

Internal dimensions: Length 116cm, Width 56cm, Height 38cm, Internal base depth 8cm

A BIG question I have regarding this cage is heating. I'm planning on using a CHE for heat and I wanted to ask if it would be safe to put the CHE lamp on top of the mesh roofing?

For substrate I'm thinking Hemp? I haven't been able to find much info on housing Hedgie's on Hemp Bedding substrate but what I have found has been all positive, if you have any info on that I'd love to hear it!

Apologies if there's any errors on this post, I'm new to Forum's and posting from my Mobile right now.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there! That’s an awesome enclosure; I’ve never seen it before. Great size; my girls house is that’s same size- I like to recommend that as the minimum instead of 2ftx2ft. They’ll definitely have lots of room to run around and explore. I would only be cautious about how much wood there is- if you’re going to be using a heat lamp set up, I don’t know how well the wood would tolerate that. But, I don’t know much about wood either and there’s probably a gloss or primer or something you can cover it with to ‘retard’ it from heat a little bit. The mesh should be fine if it’s metal.
Make sure the wheel it comes with is at least 12” in diameter. Smaller wheels tend to make hedgehog backs bend a bit when they’re running which can cause major spinal problems.
It looks like you’re doing your research to make it the best place for your future hedgie. Just make sure you’re aware of their diet needs as well, this tends to be a problem with most new hedgehog owners!
I use fleece liners for Christina’s house; a lot of owners recommend this, but some use non treated low dust paper bedding and some even use wood pellets!
Hope this helps 🙂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

That cage is a great one to use. You'll need to get a dome holder for your che so that it sits safely on the mesh but it dosent actually heat the mesh. You can also cover some the mesh with tin foil to keep heat in better.
Some people have made that wood bit in the middle longer and then attached a normal che with a cage around in the middle. They then put in persprex with vent holes dotted about, this helps to keep the heat in better, but obviously if your not able to do that dont worry its still a great cage.

The wood doesnt get effected by heat. However you are going to want to protect the wood from getting wet either by a knocked over water bowl or the urine of the hog. Also you'll want to make it easier to clean !!
If you get some aquarium sealent and go around and seal all the edges. This stops anything going down in those gaps and rotting the wood. Fablon (stick back plastic) is also the used, these come in really pretty desings too, protects the wood, and makes the cage 100 times easier to clean. Do the sides and bring them down and onto the floor a bit or do the sides to the edge and then put the floor up the sides a bit. (It looks better and is easier the first way) you can seal all the wood if you like but its faster the way I've explained.

I have absolutly no idea idea what hemp bedding is !!
But I used shredded cardbaord bedding, obviously one thats been treated and made safe for animals and had the dust extracted.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Emc

Hemp bedding should be perfectly safe for hedgehogs; it's a very common substrate choice for animals with allergies, because (generally speaking) it's extremely low-dust. Many folk use wood shavings for hedgehogs, so I dont see why hemp would be unsafe. I've used it for our rabbits trays in the past, and previously used it for our hamsters (though it sucks at holding burrows, so soon stopped) - sounds fine to use for a hedgehog to me!
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you Aj.t! I never thought a wooden enclosure would be my first choice because of the heating risks, but given that the animal/bedroom (away from the dogs) is the coldest room in the house I'd much rather something a bit more likely to hold the heat in...Which unfortunately rules out the most wired cages hahaha.

I used to own Hamsters and had one of these homes for them which is how I know the site, all accessories would have to be purchased separately so there's no need to worry about them supplying an unsafe wheel! My largest Russian Dwarf had a large 12.5 inch UFO wheel which sadly can't be reused because she went to TOWN chewing the plastic.

For the future hog I'm considering a Kaytee Comfort Wheel or a Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel, they're both difficult to get in the UK but I have found some on eBay and the UK Facebook group, my main concern with the CSBW (along with it being listed as 10.5 inches which seems too small now from what you've told me!) is actually how quiet everyone says it is! Unlike most I adore the noise of an animal wheel, that and the sound of a water bottle clinking help me sleep soundly of a night but I'm sure my partner would appreciate the silence.

By 'dome holder' Ria do you perhaps mean something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reptile-Viv.../dp/B01H5TG32C
I was planning to get one of these to help the heat distribution so it's very nice to know it'd also alleviate my concerns with melting the mesh!

I'll definitely take a look into getting some Fablon to seal up those gaps, thank you for the advice!

Glad to hear Hemp won't be an issue, I too used it for my hamsters and still currently use it alongside Carefresh for my rabbit and guinea pig's litter as anything else has a tendency to set off my Doe's many allergies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj.t View Post
Just make sure you’re aware of their diet needs as well, this tends to be a problem with most new hedgehog owners!
That's actually what I'm going to post about next funnily enough. I've had a look at Reaper's list as well as LizardGirl's chart and can't find any of the top brands here in the UK so I'm going to ask for suggestions, a breeder recommended me Nature's Grub Pygmy Hedgehog Complete From but given it's ingredients I'm quite sceptical on it's nutritional benefits.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ria

Yes that is the dome holder I'm talking about. There is a 150w one on amazon somewhere.

You can get a savic wheel from pets at home, they are easier to get than the Caroline wheel. Dont know if you have already but theres this page one stop hog shop on facebook, its brilliant for finding buying things you need in the UK !! If you ask on there about the Caroline wheel they can point you to the right person too (because I forgot the name) its 12inch and if you buy it from this person they sell the litter tray that goes great with it !!
But the savic is a great cheap alternative.

As for food, this place isnt very helpful for giving you what foods exactly as you cant actually find them !! I can give you a list of good ones in the uk if you want ??
Old 03-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Base the diet you choose ultimately off of ingredients and nutritional analysis... while specific brand recommendations will give you a good start, you never know what brands you may find that no one else has. Any time I need to find a diet, I go into a pet store and look at a wide variety of brands to make sure I’m not missing anything!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ria

The main brands used in the uk are

Hills science plan (cat food and small dog food)
Ava (cat food)
James wellbeloved (cat food )
Iamas (cat food)
Wainwrights (cat food)
Applawas (cat food and small dog food)
Royal chin (cat food and small dog food)
Harringtons (cat food)
Putine one (cat food)
Wellness (cat food)
Pro plann (cat food)

This isnt all of the ones that can be used its just a list of most used brands. Check the ingredients ans nautritional analysis on the differnt foods and go by what you think, but this shoud help give a better starting point !!
These brands can be found online uk stores and in most pet shops a lot are in pets at home.

I was goind to make the list earlier but I wasnt home and had no time to.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Emc

Yes the hemp should be fine. I used it previously for our four buns, as my lionhead girl is insanely allergic to even the slightest of dust - but alas, lionhead butt fluff and loose substrate do not mix haha - it would just stick to her like glue and would fly everywhere!

Carolina bucket wheels are likely going to be insanely expensive to have shipped to the UK. I'm in Ireland, but I ordered my girls wheel from TicTac wheels (who are actually UK based, i believe) and while it wasn't cheap, it wasn't insanely expensive either - and they're the same concept as the CSB wheels, super silent too!

Food wise; I really like AATU - for folk who only want to feed one food, it doesn't need to be mixed with anything. I feed my own hog AATU (duck and chicken recipes), Acana (prairie & ranchlands) & James Wellbeloved turkey, which drops the protein of the Acana. Personally, I would steer clear of all foods marketed for hedgehogs, as theyre generally very poor quality. I also prefer cat food brands who dont add things like beet pulp, molasses, etc into their foods, but thats just a personal preference.

Heat set-up wise; these exo-terra domes are intended to be used with heat set ups that emit light (hence reflector) but are perfectly safe to use with ceramic heat emitters. I have the 25cm size with a 150W CHE for my girl currently, and we love it.

Last edited by Emc; 03-21-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sooo...Turns out I won't be needing this cage as amazing as it is, I was told earlier that my Mother has opted to buy me a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft custom made TVT vivarium and heating set as a birthday gift! I'm not supposed to know about it though so I've got to keep hushed up on it for a couple of months- No idea what prompted her to do such a thing nor what colour she's chosen but what's done is done!

Hopefully such a cage is acceptable?

My partner shops on One Stop Hog Shop! We haven't seen anything that's taken our fancy as of yet but I agree it's an amazing source.

We've actually been considering a mixture between Arden Grande Light Chicken and Potato Adult Cat and Wainwrights Adult Cat Weight Control Dry Food so it's a relief to see Wainwrights on the list! Thanks Ria.

My bun Rogue is allergic to near enough everything, certain foods, dust- Even HAY sets her off! She still munches it down albeit with a lot of sneezing lol Guess we both ended up with hay-fever.

I've never heard of TicTac Wheels nor AATU but I am THRILLED that TicTac offers sand on their site! I've been searching high and low to find a sand safe to possibly offer my eventual Hedgie after seeing the wondrous effects it had on my last Hamster, but everywhere I've searched either decries sand as being bad for Hedgehogs or has no info on it at all, do you know if this is the case?

I'll admit I've never been a fan of mixing foods, my anxiety always thinks I'm going to fluff it all up somehow and wind up providing them with too much/not enough of something so it's good to have a solo food option- I'll definitely have a look into them later as well, thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in