Finally got my cage...missing anything? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Pugsley’s cage got here today!! Midwest guinea Pig habitat with plywood underneath for stability, fleece along the sides and back walls, plush fleece bedding, lights are on a timer 6am to 6pm, CHE lamp (second one is one the way) is on a thermostat and both thermometers are reading between 74 and 76 usually.
He’s got his sharky hide (I need a bigger one) his leopard snuggle sack, corner litter box with paper towels (still haven’t decided what to us for litter, open to suggestions), Carolina storm wheel, dig box with fleece strips, PVC tunnel, and his Mr. Bubble and ducky toys.
Food and water bowl can’t be seen but they are in the fron left corner.
belties and Bluegirl like this.

Last edited by Starshinepunk; 03-07-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Starshinepunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks FANTASTIC!!! He’s gonna be in good hands 🙂
As for litter, I use non clumping cat litter. You’re gonna find many people with different thoughts on litter; a lot of people say even non clumping litter is dangerous as it can get lodged in genitals, especially males. There is the risk, as with pretty much anything ever, but I’ve used litter for all my hedgies and have not once had a problem.
With that being said, you still might not want to take the risk- totally understandable! You can use carefresh bedding, newspaper shreds, or even wood pellets. Up to you!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Should I just stick with paper towels then?

Old 03-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

We have had good luck with the thick paper towels. They are cheap and easy. One and a half pieces a day and every thing is clean for the next day. Nice pen too.
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 02:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Some hedgehogs drag the papaer towls out some dont. Its also great for seeing discolouration in urine
Wood pelletes and recycled papaper pelletes (both cat litters) are great for using.
Some thing like care fresh or any other paper bedding is great, this one is also great for seeing discolouration in urine.
Non clumping cat litter is okay, but there is the risk of it getting stuck in genitals like Aj.t said, some people never get problems and others dont.
Sheets of recycled news paper can be used buat actually some hedgehogs drag that out too.

I love the cage set up !!
Also you may find that he uses his wheel as a litter tray rather than his actual litter tray !! I have my wheel in her litter tray so that it catches all the mess. (Less work for me lol) some people just put puppy pads under them, but some hedgehogs rip them and others just sleep under them.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all so much...I think Pugsley May be a bit OCD...he leaves the paper towels alone and has ONLY used the bathroom in the litter box under his wheel, I haven’t even had to wash his wheel yet. I may even take out the corner box so that he has more room to run around.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Not needing to clean the wheel wont last long at all. Even the most clean hedgehog makes them messy
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry to burst your bubble but most will change toilet habits as they age. Our current girl always only went on her wheel or in the pan under it till she turned 1 and then she started useing her dig box full of shredded paper half the time and her wheel the other half. Now she hides some poops behind her dig box,some in a corner of the dig box,and a few on her wheel every nite. Funny little critters they are!
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well he’s cute enough I won’t mind when those things happen.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I use puppy pads cut in half for Chowder's litter area. I did use carefresh bedding on top, just to help absorb a little more. But stopped using it recently because I found a couple of times that some had dried to his genitals. He's just recovered from a hibernation attempt and being treated for congestive heart disease, so I decided I don't need something else to worry about with him, lol.

I had a hedgie many years ago that had a wire cage. The first night we had her, we woke up to ear piercing screaming. She had climbed up, gotten her head stuck in between the bars, and was hanging from the top by her neck. Terrifying! I took some fabric strips and weaved them through the wires and we never had any other issues. I don't know if that's a common issue that can happen (getting stuck) or if she was just a special case.
Chowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in