Finally got my cage...missing anything? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
I had a hedgie many years ago that had a wire cage. The first night we had her, we woke up to ear piercing screaming. She had climbed up, gotten her head stuck in between the bars, and was hanging from the top by her neck. Terrifying! I took some fabric strips and weaved them through the wires and we never had any other issues. I don't know if that's a common issue that can happen (getting stuck) or if she was just a special case.
That's definitely not a special case. I saw a post about it and the dangers of wire cages in a hedgehog Facebook group just yesterday. It really concerned me as our hedgie has a wire cage, so we do plan to transfer to a plastic bin. The photos alone were horrifying. I can't image, I wouldn't want that happening to our baby.
Celestia85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ria

Wire cages are okay if modified to make them safe eg putting chloroplast up high anough that they cant not get to the bars. Cover all the bars in plastic.
To be honest though some people use wire cages and have never had the problems of climbing. It normally happens when they are bored.
Its safter to not go with wired cages obviously, and easier so your not having to modify it either, but there are a lot of people who still feel that wired cages are great for hedgehogs.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

I’ve got a Coroplast liner from piggybedspreads.com coming to prevent climbing which Pugsley has shown no interest in as of yet (he’s more interested in liner diving right now) but until the liner comes in I have a fleece blanket lining the cage except for the front which is tucked under the bottom to prevent him digging it out and to discourage climbing if he decides that’s suddenly his thing.
I am having a major problem figuring out what he likes for treats. I’ve tried canned and live mealworms, as well as canned crickets and grasshoppers, strawberry, banana, appropriate canned cat food...I’ve tried hand feeding him, leaving it in his cage, leaving it in his bowl, putting it in his dig box and it’s always there in the morning eaten around and untouched.
However, I think we had an awesome bonding moment today! I took him out and presented my hand for him to sniff to see if he would let me pet his forehead and he actually nudged under my hand and snuffled then even let me brush his cheeks and sides a bit until he had enough and wanted to burrow back into my T-shirt and go back to sleep.
Mecki likes this.
Starshinepunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

It also obviously depends on the spacing of each wire segment. It’s definitely something to consider when choosing a house for these little guys; the first hedgehog I had came with a second level and ramp, but the ramp was too steep for him to climb up so he climbed up the side of the enclosure. This is also where the previous owner kept his food and water and me being a newbie didn’t give it a second thought. Anywho long story short he broke his leg one night climbing; it must have slipped and gotten twisted once the wire. The wires weren’t large enough for hunch to get his head through, but definitely his feet! He passed away a short time after from dehydration. Rip Oliver, he was a good dude.
With all that sob story out of the way, Christina doesn’t climb, so I’m not concerned. She once did climb up the side of her house when she was young, which prompted me to consider alternatives, but has never done it since. Lots of options!!!
Lol sorry for the gloomy story on a house set up post😂
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Our baby climbed the same day we brought her home. Our wire cage came free with her. She only got up about 4 bars though. Her back feet were braced on the top of the plastic base. That was it. Then the third night, her cage door was accidentally left open, so again, she climbed and got out. But as far as I know, those were the only times she's done it. Still makes me uneasy, and I'm not sure I want to bother with the coroplast. I may just switch her to the plastic bin enclosure. I just don't know, I'm not very handy so my husband would be doing all the work!
Celestia85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2019, 01:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestia85 View Post
Our baby climbed the same day we brought her home. Our wire cage came free with her. She only got up about 4 bars though. Her back feet were braced on the top of the plastic base. That was it. Then the third night, her cage door was accidentally left open, so again, she climbed and got out. But as far as I know, those were the only times she's done it. Still makes me uneasy, and I'm not sure I want to bother with the coroplast. I may just switch her to the plastic bin enclosure. I just don't know, I'm not very handy so my husband would be doing all the work!
Plastic bins are an awesome DIY- cheap and easy plus it’s so easy to make multiple sections with tunnels connecting the different bins!
Aj.t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria View Post
Some hedgehogs drag the papaer towls out some dont. Its also great for seeing discolouration in urine
Wood pelletes and recycled papaper pelletes (both cat litters) are great for using.
Some thing like care fresh or any other paper bedding is great, this one is also great for seeing discolouration in urine.
Non clumping cat litter is okay, but there is the risk of it getting stuck in genitals like Aj.t said, some people never get problems and others dont.
Sheets of recycled news paper can be used buat actually some hedgehogs drag that out too.

I love the cage set up !!
Also you may find that he uses his wheel as a litter tray rather than his actual litter tray !! I have my wheel in her litter tray so that it catches all the mess. (Less work for me lol) some people just put puppy pads under them, but some hedgehogs rip them and others just sleep under them.
Do you mind showing your set up?! I have clean and cozy. It doesn’t say exactly what it is but it was included in Buddy’s cage when I bought him. It looks and feels like very thin shredded paper. I’m thinking it using something else. Also any ideas on how to litter box train him? He goes everywhere!! Ugh..
Buddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ria

Clean and cosy is a very thin shredded paper bedding like care fresh or critter care
I use the clean and cosy as littler mixed with back to nature.

As for litter training, Holly kinda just litter trained herself, and most hedgehogs use their wheels as their toilet, so most people put the litter tray under the wheel, and they just stick to going in that area.
But to litter train him just put his poo into the litter tray and eventually he'll mainly use the litter, you'll probably still find off bits about though.

I would show you a picture of me set up. However recently its not been letting me add photos that I could before, So at the moment I can't share the photo with you.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ria I have had the same trouble with trying to load pictures. Glad it was not just me being computer stupid again!
belties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in