Suitable cage? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ria
  • 1 Post By Kaito the Hedgehog
  • 1 Post By Ria
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Suitable cage?

Hey, sorry i have been posting a lot recently, but I want to make sure all my info is correct before I get the hedgehog. I might be posting a thread for the other things linked in with the housing a hedgehog forum.

I have decided on getting an African Pigmy hedgehog() because I think it would suit my lifestyle and home best.

Anyway, is there a certain cage or bedding that an APH would need or could I just buy one from a pet store? Also, what size animal's cage would a hedgehogs be similar to?

Thanks in advance if you reply, really grateful.

hufflepuff hedgehog
hufflepuff_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

The minimum size for a hedgehog is 3feet x 1.5feet (90cmx40cm) sure someone may or may not correct this.

There are a fair few cage choices which mostly you can get from a pet shop.

Wire ones you may need to climb proof (plastic sheets on the inside on the sides all the way up but leave the top bars open) this also helps with keeping heat in the cage.

Theres also vivariums, mostly these need to have added ventaltion (not always though, but a lot of people do need to and put a plastic shet with aquarium sealent on the edges on the wooden floor to make easier to clean and stop anything leaving into the wood)

Some people turn rabbit hutches (with the hutch inside their house) into hedgehog cages and put plasic sheets with aqurium sealant on the edges for the same reasons as doing so in a vivarium.

Some also use a blue zoozone 2 cage however most people use one of the ways upstairs

I have a zoozone 2 as the breeder said it was the only “good” cage which is a lie. If I had known some of these things sooner I would have gone with a differnt cage. But I cant change the cage now because of certain reasons.

Last edited by Ria; 10-12-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im a huge supporter of DIY cages.
Kaito the Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok thanks for the advice not to get the zoozone 2 cage and to get the plastic sheets - I will definitely keep them in mind.

Yes I have seen on google that the minimum is 3feetx1.5feet as they like to have a good walk around at night.

I do have a good two-story rabbit hutch (which was DIY) but its outside and already occupied by my outdoor rabbits and as I already know, the outside temperature would be way too cold for an African Pygmy hedgehog. Also I have seen on google that hedgehogs don't like two story cages(???)

I still don't know if I am going to DIY or just buy a cage yet as DIY would suit me best and may be less cheaper (depending on paints, wood etc.)but buying one from a pet shop would be quicker and easier.

Thank you for both the replies!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ria

Some hedgehogs love to have two stories and others dont.
Most people put their main needed things, bed, wheel, litter tray, food and water on the forst story and then watch how much they up the top, if they are going up there a lot then some people move the bed up there. Though most people use that as a foraging tray area and a place for all the toys.
Really it all depends on the hedgehog, some hedgehogs love two stories and others wont use a second story.

Oh you can also make their cages out large plastic boxes. And if you have two side by side you can connect it with a tunnel.

Oh and if your using paint on the cage use a water based one as it has less bad chemicals than other ones.
To be honest I think making your hedgehog the cage would be so cool, plus this way you can make pretty big, and desgn it in the space you have, not rely on sizes in the shops.

And I forgot to answer the bit about bedding. The bedding shouldnt be dusty, and the wood chipping bedding isnt advise either.
Some people use carefresh however this can be a but dusty, some people use finacard (which I googled to see what it was and said its cardboard) I use cardboard (this is what the breeder said and she gave us a whole huge bag so I thought I might as well use that until its at least gone. And some people use fleece liners (Holly wouldnt love me if I changed to this because she loves burrowing around the whole cage so a small area wouldnt work for her) theres others I think but I cant remember them.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wooden vivariums are really popular in the UK and relatively cheap to buy (I almost had one imported to me here but luckily found an independent company that makes them here). You can also buy them in the required size. 120cm x 50/60cm being the ideal size and minimum being 100 x 50cm x 50cm, the bigger the better though! I like the look of wooden vivs and they retain heat well which would suit being in the UK, just need to make sure there's enough ventilation and if buying direct from the manufacturer they can add more vents (one company offered to do this for me free of charge in the UK). The only thing you have to do is seal all the connecting panels since they mainly come flat packed. Use aquarium safe silicone to do this. The wood itself is normally already waterproofed but check with the company.

If going with a two story, all open sides/parts including the slope need to be enclosed as hedgehogs have very bad eye sight and judgement, to avoid them from falling!

I prefer loose bedding as hedgies love to borrow and fleece doesn't allow this. You can make fleece strips for them to burrow in but this wasn't enough for my boy. Any signs of liner diving means they are trying to burrow and should switch to loose bedding. I'm currently making the switch to a naturalistic setup so only natural substrates and items will be used (apart from the wheel and food/water bowls).
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ria

Most are water proof the plastic sheet at the bottom of the vivarium also helps with having it as an easy clean. Also gives it that safe just in case they say it is but its not. But yea vivariums are very poplular in the UK because it holds the heat better, they are easier for getting the right size and bugger than the right size, they are cheap and most companies (when buying straight from them) will add extra ventilation for you. If you want to look into the vivariums a lot of peole in the UK get them from swell reptile.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you!

I think I am going to do a DIY cage/vivarium myself with some watered-down, waterproof wood! Thanks for the advice on the plastic sheets - I agree, they will make cleaning out the cage easier!! I have had a look on swell reptile but I still think that I will make my own house for the hedgie.

Because it depends on the hedgehog,I don't think I will be making a two story house. Instead, I think I'll make two normal houses then make a tunnel from one to the other so the hedgehog can climb through.

Thanks everyone for the advise and information!!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ria

That sounds really cool, I bet the hedgehog you get will love it !! Sounds like it will be able to have a great time.
Make sure the tunnle you get is big so that it fits and theres no chance of them getting stuck.
If you get a che you may want to get one for each cage, as in vivariums you would screw it to the top in the centre and it will on heat that one cage, so for your idea you may need two, one for each part

Last edited by Ria; 10-13-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

The actual minimum suggested cage size is a lot bigger. You want a cage with 8 square feet so about 2 feet by 4 feet. When I started breeding the recommended size was about 1.5x3 feet but I soon found out that was way to small.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
african pigmy hedgehog, bedding, cage, cage size, housing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in