Cage Options Help pls - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Cage Options Help pls

Hi, so I'm in the process of doing my research before I get my first pet hedgehog. Final room and cage placement is 99% determined so I do have my dimension to work with. I just have some questions relating to the 4 cage options I had my eye on.

Please note I do plan on letting them run around for minimum 1 hour each night. Floor plan of the condo is somewhat open and on the large side so I'm not worried about that. I also live in the Greater Toronto Area, and a lot of the info I see is for the US, so prices can be very different compared to what I can get here. Now for information dump.

Option 1
C&C cage

It would be similar to the photos below, dimensions would be 2x3 cubes, my only concern about these are the potential loft for hedgehog and raising them up. I like the idea of having the loft however I'm not sure if it would even be used and therefore worth it. The other concern is the best way to lift it up off the floor. I've seen a few people do it where underneath on either side they have the boxes set up and attached to the upper portion (like image below). Would that be fine, or should I have the boxes and a board running across underneath for support?

Option 2
Ferret/Critter nation Cage
https://www.wayfair.ca/pet/pdp/tucke...-tkmp2880.html
Once again, concerns with the loft and it being used. The only other concern with this one is if I would have to do anything to make the ramp safe, and if so recommendations?

Option 3
Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/Mid-West-B001N...R3JT4D6YKCXXQG
My only debate with this one is if its better to get the one that is completely open, or then one that has a little separate section with ramp to access it. The other questions is actually recommendations on what I should use to lift it off of the floor.

Option 4
Rabbit Hutch
https://www.wayfair.ca/pet/pdp/tucke...B0%5D=27272572
While this does have the enclosed space in the description it says the material is Eco flex so it supposed to not get moist, warp, crack or split and won't absorb smells. My main two concerns are the ramp and the open space to below. For the ramp, what would I need to do to make it safe, or is it too steep. In terms of the open space due to hedgehogs having bad depth perception I'm worried about them not realizing there is a drop. The only way I can figure out to fix that is to attach Plexiglas from the top but that might cut off ventilation.

Thanks in advance for all the help/tips!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x4 with bottom.jpg (71.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2x3-1x2Loft-BlackWhite-thb.jpg (55.9 KB, 5 views)
well-pups is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think one consideration to make is how you will control the temperature of the cage. If you have a big open cage you need to keep the room at 25 deg C ish. A cage with a top can support a CHE lamp so you can keep the room a few degrees cooler than the cage.
bugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2018, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Just remember that a lid is a must for all cages and any ledges, lofts etc have to be completely enclosed as do any ramps.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cage help, new hedgehog owner, opinion needed, questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in