Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
bmaditz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 414
Default Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

I just purchased a second tub today for my hedgie. He is about 3 months old so I figure it's time he gets a little more space. I have two large clear tubs. I am going to bolt the bottom of the top tub to the lid of the one on the bottom. This way I can remove the whole top level to clean, and have open access to the bottom too when it's time to clean. However, the only thing I can't seem to find is a DARN RAMP!!! I could use any ideas. If you have a ramp where did you get it? Did you make your own???? I really need some help. I just don't have the floor space to connect them with a PVC pipe, but stacking them is just fine.
__________________
Owned by Briar



bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LizardGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 5,136
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

I've used vinyl dryer tube (4") and drilled holes in the sides of tubs, and tied the tube on to use as an enclosed ramp. Maybe that'd work for you?



__________________
West Coast Hedgehogs - Breeder in Corvallis, Oregon -Download Our Complete Hedgehog Care Book For Free-
Check out our Supply page for the best deals on all your hedgehog needs!
Cake Top Wheels - Hedgie Bags - Food Mix - Feeder Insects - Dietary Supplements - Care Kits - Heat Setups - And More!
LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
bmaditz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 414
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardGirl
I've used vinyl dryer tube (4") and drilled holes in the sides of tubs, and tied the tube on to use as an enclosed ramp. Maybe that'd work for you?
That's a great idea!
__________________
Owned by Briar



bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Kelsey the hedgehog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 181
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

whatever you end up doing just be sure it is either fully enclosed (like a tube) or that it has side walls so that your hedgie does not accidentally take a fall off the side. hedgehogs don't have very good eyesight and a lot of times the side walls will even help guide your hedgehog up and down the ramp.
p.s sorry i don't have any ideas to share (i don't use a ramp)
Kelsey the hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
bmaditz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 414
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey the hedgehog
whatever you end up doing just be sure it is either fully enclosed (like a tube) or that it has side walls so that your hedgie does not accidentally take a fall off the side. hedgehogs don't have very good eyesight and a lot of times the side walls will even help guide your hedgehog up and down the ramp.
p.s sorry i don't have any ideas to share (i don't use a ramp)
That is exactly my problem actually. I want to stay away form wood because the potential to hide mites. Which leaves me with something plastic. Finding something plastic with sides that makes a good ramp.....is IMPOSSIBLE....I think sighhhhhhhhh. The idea to use a tube with ribs is good, but I have no idea how I would keep that from moving around. Mind slowly being BLOWN!!!!!
__________________
Owned by Briar



bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
bmaditz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 414
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

Do you think this ramp would be safe for a hedgie?????????? It's for ferrets.
__________________
Owned by Briar




Last edited by bmaditz; 08-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.
bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

That ramp isn't safe. The hedgehog could slip because of the bars and could fall off because there are no railings. That'd also be impossible to connect two bins with if one is sitting on top of the other bin. The dryer vent tube will work best. Just make a hole that's 3.75" and squeeze the 4" tube through. You can drill a few extra holes around the big hole to attach the tube with zip ties for extra support. You just drill slowly through the bin and poke a hole in the tube and pull a zip tie through both. It's pretty simple
Desperodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
bmaditz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 414
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperodo
That ramp isn't safe. The hedgehog could slip because of the bars and could fall off because there are no railings. That'd also be impossible to connect two bins with if one is sitting on top of the other bin. The dryer vent tube will work best. Just make a hole that's 3.75" and squeeze the 4" tube through. You can drill a few extra holes around the big hole to attach the tube with zip ties for extra support. You just drill slowly through the bin and poke a hole in the tube and pull a zip tie through both. It's pretty simple
Okay I'll do that. Thank you Where could I get one of those tubes?????????
__________________
Owned by Briar



bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

You can get them at home improvement stores and I've also seen them at Walmart. Here's one at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051 . Depending where you live you might be able to get a white vinyl one which is more appealing. They aren't dryer tubes though, they're normally found in the section with vents for the bathroom. Here's what it looks like http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... R-I3721431 . I saw a cage similar to yours with a PVC pipe tube, you could do that, just make sure it's not steep. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=110 (2nd post).
Desperodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
bmaditz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 414
Default Re: Ramp ideas PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperodo
You can get them at home improvement stores and I've also seen them at Walmart. Here's one at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051 . Depending where you live you might be able to get a white vinyl one which is more appealing. They aren't dryer tubes though, they're normally found in the section with vents for the bathroom. Here's what it looks like http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... R-I3721431 . I saw a cage similar to yours with a PVC pipe tube, you could do that, just make sure it's not steep. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=110 (2nd post).
Thanks a lot for the link
__________________
Owned by Briar



bmaditz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ramp Luvmehhedgie Cages 5 12-26-2012 07:40 PM
Ramp help please :) Melly Housing & Accessories 8 06-09-2012 06:07 PM
Building a ramp dannielle1421 Housing & Accessories 2 09-21-2011 12:47 AM
Ramp Dweller >=/ KamoLover Hedgehog Personality and Behaviour 2 05-05-2011 12:13 AM
Ramp Question... Shelbys Mom Cages 10 04-28-2009 12:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum