Coroplast: Lifespan? Preferred color? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coroplast: Lifespan? Preferred color?

How does Coroplast last? Does it need to be replaced on occasion? Between use and cleaning, does it discolor/degrade over time? Does a 'color' stay looking pretty decent better than white? I know that it will be mostly hidden most of the time; just wondering. I was thinking white, but if it will turn grey, then maybe not such a good choice. Also, I would lay in a stash if think that more will be needed.

Is chewing a problem? I'm guessing maybe not since everyone seems to use it, but this seems the place to ask.

I've been reading conflicting things about some colors being better than others for hedgies. True? Or purely anecdotal?

Is air circulation from the top adequate? On the one hand I read how important circulation is. On the other hand I read to bring it up the sides at least 10" so they can't reach the mesh of the cube grid. But 10" is most of the way to the top.?

I was advised to definitely get a top. If she can't reach the grid, can she climb? Can she actually climb the Cloroplast?
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Coroplast: Lifespan? Preferred color?

From what I understand chloroplast lasts many years. I'm sure someone who has used if for while will give more details.
As far as color fading I'm not sure but it shouldn't because you should be keeping it out of direct sunlight anyway
I've heard that some colors are better then others but this is probably just myth.
8in is usually the recommend height. And ventilation is great on them
Yes you need a top. She may or may not climb. But I wouldn't chance it.

RIP Opal <3
Buy 2012 hedgehog calendar here: http://www.lulu.com/product/calendar/20 ... r/18714080
Join Hedgehog Happenings on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/hedgehoghappenings/
ShutUpAndSmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I don't see how the color would fade if you have fleece over top of it. Hedgehogs don't chew; they're not rodents.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

The coroplast shouldn't wear out or discolor for a good long while, not within your hedgie's lifespan at least. Hedgies aren't rodents and don't chew on things, so no worries there.

I'm not sure what you mean about different colors, like (for example) albino hedgies being more friendly than dark colored hedgies? Pretty much it just varies for each individual.

The air circulation will be fine since the cage will be decent sized. 2x2 or larger won't have any ventilation issues, and 10" will be just fine. Your hedgie shouldn't be able to reach up and climb on that.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

LG I believe the OP is referring to the color of coroplast as it comes in wide array of colors.

Hedgehogs are believed to have some color spec. vision. Each individual may have reactions to different colors I suggest a neutral color such as white or black
JustOnePost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in