C&C cage vs. Critter/Ferret Nation - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default C&C cage vs. Critter/Ferret Nation

Hello all,

First-time poster here. I will be getting my first hedgehog within the next month, and am currently in the planning stage as far as her setup goes. I've narrowed down my choices for the cage to a C&C or Critter/Ferret Nation, though I'm currently leaning slightly more toward the CN. Just a few quick questions, if I may:

- Can a C&C be made cat-proof? I have three cats, and they will be allowed in the bedroom where the hedgie will be kept. I've seen pics of some C&Cs that are more or less completely enclosed, so it seems like it would be doable, but... a) How strong are the cubes, in case the cats decided to sit on top? and B) how does one go about cleaning cages like this and this? I really feel like an idiot asking, but I'm just not sure how the top pieces come off, having never used these kinds of cubes for anything before.

- If I decide to go with a CN cage, are there any adjustments I would need to make for it to be hedgie-safe aside from taking out the ramp and upper-level part (and incidentally, is is easily removed)? According to this site, it's a good idea to replace the plastic pan that comes with the cage with something with taller sides.

Pros of the C&C cage:

- Cheap
- Customizable size and shape

Cons:

- Possible issue with cats being a nuisance
- Possible issue getting all of the supplies easily, since I don't drive
- Not as aesthetically pleasing as CN cages
- Potentially more difficult to clean?

Critter Nation cage pros:

- Impossible for cats to get inside, and high enough so that they probably won't try to get on top
- Requires no assembly
- Nice-looking
- Seems easy to clean

Cons:

- More expensive
- Not customizable in terms of size or shape

If anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated...I keep waffling back and forth on this. Thanks in advance!
astral-disaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: C&C cage vs. Critter/Ferret Nation

The FN is about the best cage going IMO, the CN is good also I just prefer the FN cause the bars cannot be used to climb the cage. I have C&C cages and love them, you can make tops to keep the cats out but heating may be an issue if the cats knocked something over.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a C&C and LOVE IT.

I made my cover out of linen shelving.

Please excuse the Silent Spinner Wheel. It was a gift that was never used by my hedgie, it was ONLY a place holder for the picture.

These cages take very little time to clean if you use fleece liners. When I first got Marvin I had him on Aspen shavings but that didn't last long as there were shavings everywhere.

Because the linen shelves are metal and not coated in any plastic I just rest my light and heater domes on them, no burning/melting.

I would suggest if you get a younger hedgie that you make sure the chloroplast(sp?) has a little extra height around the edges so they cannot reach the bars and make an escape attempt.

All in all I love my C&C, its very sturdy, very easy to build, super cheap for its size. It's also something I can easily make bigger or smaller if I needed to.

Unfortunately I'm not home right now but I could post more recent pics of my cage if you'd like. Hope this helped!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20111209_000610 %28800x600%29.jpg (346.3 KB, 35 views)
chelsea.kang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the Critter Nation requires assembly... I seem to remember someone posting a while back about how they bought a CN from someone and they didn't have the instructions included with the cage pieces or something?

Anywho, I have a 3x2 cube C&C cage and I love mine as well. If you're allowing your cats access to the hedgie's room, I would suggest using a "cage lid" like the one chelsea.kang has. The one issue I have with using a C&C cage is the lid, or lack thereof. I used the cubes to create a lid. The cubes at the back of the cage are all zip tied to the back wall, and the cubes in the front aren't to allow me to remove those cubes for cage cleaning. My room is off limits to our other critters, so the front middle of the cage is open. Because of this, I feel like the front cubes aren't as sturdy. I have never done a weight test to see how much it holds, but I doubt it would hold my 10 pound cat.

I've never had a CN, so I can't personally compare the two... but I actually like the way C&C cages look. Here's a link to what my C&C looked like when I first set it up:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12004&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=mi ldred+s+new+house

My C&C is a snap to clean. When my hog used to liner-dive, I would take the liner out, spray the coroplast down with a vinegar & water solution and wipe clean with paper towel. She doesn't go under her liners anymore, so I am able to just spot clean the coroplast for the most part.

If you feel a CN would be more safe, then go for it. C&Cs are commonly used mainly because (I think) you can make such a big cage for a low cost.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Hands down a Critter Nation is the safest, most secure and best cage if you have other pets. The bar spacing is small enough that little paws can't reach in no way would even the most determined cat or small dog be able to get at hedgie. The Ferret Nation is good also but the bar spacing is just enough wider that paws can reach through the bars.

Although both Ferret and Critter Nations require assembly, it's a one time thing and I believe the new models don't require tools. The loft and ladder are easy to insert or remove and easy to modify to make it hedgie safe if you desire.

Although both the FN/CN and C&C require assembly, the C&C requires far more to make it pet secure.

One thing I love about the FN & CN is the doors at the front open fully to allow for easy cleaning.

Because the CN has horizontal bars, some hedgehogs will climb it. This can be easily solved by weaving stiff plastic in and out of the bars to about 6-8" up. Coroplast will work as well. Or, you can go buy some 1" plumbing pipe and cut the length of the sides and zip tie it all around the cage about 8" up. They can't get a grip on the pipe so can't climb.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Although both Ferret and Critter Nations require assembly, it's a one time thing and I believe the new models don't require tools. The loft and ladder are easy to insert or remove and easy to modify to make it hedgie safe if you desire.
It says "no tools required", but you will still need a hammer or a mallet of some sort I received my CN and putting it together was a bit irritating because some parts do not fit unless you hammer them in.

But besides that, I have both had a C&C and a CN, and let me tell you, the CN wins out imo. It's much easier to clean, safe (for me anyway because I have 2 cats and the bar spacing on the C&C did make me a bit nervous), and imo, it will be easier to move with (disassembling my C&C after I got my CN was a nightmare).
Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input, guys! I like the idea of building a cage myself, and for such a good price...which is why I wanted to at least consider a C&C...but I think getting the CN will make my life a litter easier, haha. It's fine if it requires some assembly -- I do own a hammer. I probably just saw "No tools required" on the website and remembered the details wrong.

So the CN is better to get than the FN? I can find virtually no differences in the item descriptions on the Ferret Nation website. Do most of you use the pan that comes with the cage, or did you replace it?
astral-disaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I bought the CN and love it. My hedgie has never tried to climb the bars, but I've heard that some hedgies have tried that (that's why some prefer the FN over the CN, but as Nancy mentioned, the FN's bars are a little further apart.) It sounds like that could easily be remedied by putting something between the bars to keep that from happening. I use the pan that came with it. I don't have the second level up, but do intend on putting it in and enclosing it to see if Nuala likes more room to roam.

Here's my cage with the old wheel. I now have one of Larry's wheels for my Nuala.

nualasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rescue

Angry Re: C&C cage vs. Critter/Ferret Nation

The old design of both the CN and FN required screws but the current versions of both now have slide together assembly. I have both houses and like them all. A kitty paw could slip though the FN bars but a CN would be risky for a climber. Either way, both are very easy to clean and off the ground. I also like that I can move them from room to room with ease. I lay fleece over the top to prevent a draft and keep my hedgehog collectables on top of to make it look nice.

If there is any chance of climbing I would suggest coroplast or plexiglass for a CN. Better safe than sorry!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in