Cage for a loud hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twobytwopets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cage for a loud hedgie

So I have had Paisley for about 6 months and she is about 9 months old. We just moved and I was going to upgrade from plastic tubs that are breaking down a little so I got a MidWest Cage (attached). Paisley decided that fleece bedding is fun to sleep under instead of in her bed. She does this from time to time and it hasn't been a big deal.

For the past 3 early mornings when she will get under the fleece to sleep and dig around a bit...just loud enough to wake me up. I love having her in my room and that really is the only place for her to be.

I returned the cage to the pet store (they graciously accepted it) but now I am looking for a new cage AND SOON! Here are the ideal things I'm looking for:
  • Plenty long (not more than 24" wide)
  • Easy to clean
  • QUIET (I have the loudest hedgie ever but I won't explain here)
  • Good for fleece liners (cheaper and we both like them better)
  • Inexpensive (will not pay $100)
  • Storage for all of her things would be wonderful
Please let me know what you are using, and if I don't have to make something all the better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81tkJD-4cML._SL1500_.jpg (194.3 KB, 12 views)
Mschmelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not a fan of those Midwest cages. It's more a deterioration issue. I just don't see the bottom lasting that long.

So let's figure out more what your looking for so we can make suggestions. Honestly, your price point may be the deal breaker, but we shall see.

Other than digging, is the noise an issue? Because digging could be noisy in any cage, but there are ways around that.

Also is getting an item shipped in to you an option?
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Paisley likes to rearrange things often and usually at 2 am. Also if her nails aren't perfectly trimmed she trots instead of running (its funny to watch) so its even louder.

The digging wasn't very loud in the plastic tubs, I could hear it if I listened for it but since she moves around under the fleece her quills would rub the plastic and make a much louder noise in this cage.

I have found a few cages that might work but I was hoping that someone had some experience with one or another. I am going to have to buy more liners unless it is already the right size so the price is going to total much more I know.

I would love to get one shipped (if possible from Amazon) I don't live in a huge city so I know that this is going to be the best price wise.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok. So types of cages...
Totes, c&c cages, tubby cages, and critter/ferret nation cages.

I use totes, never had an issue with them breaking down. This is by far the cheapest option unless you find a major deal used online. The only thing making noise is the content of the cage when they rearrange their furniture or scratch the walls.

C&c cages, more expensive if you buy one pre made, although deals might be found on Amazon. Also could be slightly noisy when they scratch at the Coroplast. They can come with storage area.

Tubby cages. These are the ones that have the plastic bottom tub with the caging walls and roof. They can be noisy too. Not just the digging but I've had some that would rattle the cage part. Also these need modified so they are hedgehog safe.

Critter nation and ferret nation. They don't come cheap, but they are sturdy. Again what you build the floor with will possibly make noise.

Then you have vivariums. They really aren't cheap, especially if you aren't wanting to build it yourself. They aren't quick to get to you unless you find one used locally, then disinfecting can become a big issue.

Why don't you send the links to the cages your considering and we would be able to go through the pros and cons of them. Every cage has pitfalls, sometimes we just have to get creative on solutions.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think I am looking at doing a c&c cage, it should work and be relatively affordable. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

C&C cages are great, their downfall is they are harder to heat and the walls that are standard on them are too short for a hedgehog. You also need a lid for them as with any cage. Just things to keep in mind while shopping.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with twobytwopets, C&C cages definitely aren't as simple as they seem. I have had mine for almost three months now, and have a couple of points to add. Don't get me wrong, I love the cage- there were just a few unexpected challenges.

Firstly, C&C cages are not as cheap as they seem, especially if you are Canadian like me. The materials are somewhat hard to find and actually quite expensicve in the end. The coroplast itself was $40. The cubes part ended up costing $64. The wood and nails for my lid was another $15. If you are American and have access to stores like Walmart the cost will be less, but really it isn't as cheap as it seems.

Also, the cage was a bit of a challenge to put together. The connectors that the cubes came with were a bit tricky and had to be used in combination with many zip ties. The entire building process took a long time, but was nothing extraordinarily hard. Point being that it wasn't as easy as some websites make it sound.

To add to the heating comment, I couldn't agree more. The open design of the cage allows a lot of airflow, which is great for your hedgehog's ventilation, but not so great for maintaining heat. I originally had one CHE and a space heater, but it was not nearly enough. I now have 3 CHEs and still sometimes use the space heater. My cage is a 2x3 so it's not like I'm heating a massive area. Keep in mind that if you decide to make a C&C cage, you will likely need to upgrade your heating setup.

I don't want to discourage you, but want you to know what a C&C cage has in store. My hedgehog loves hers, the space is fantastic, and it is very easy to buy liners in the exact dimensions of your cage.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fleece liner, hedgehog cage, hedgiehome, house

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in