c&c vs Sterlite bin - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default c&c vs Sterlite bin

I need to know which one is better? getting new setup want to make as best as possible!
scubag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are pros and cons with any cage. It boils down to your preference
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

which one would a hedgehog prefer easier to clean
?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

IMO, Sterilite bins aren't ideal unless you have the tools & ability to attach two or more together. They're just not big enough (if you're going with clear ones, which most people do).

Bins are nice for holding heat better, which can be useful for people with a very cold house. But they need specialized tools in order to make holes to put PVC pipe through & attach multiple totes. They're also more escape-proof, but not completely so. You still need a lid, and it just needs to be modified with some screening so there's enough ventilation. Ventilation also needs to be added in the form of holes in the sides of the bins (small ones, along the top, usually).

C&C cages are great for making whatever size cage you want. But they're very open & can be very drafty & hard to heat. They don't take any special equipment to set up (a measuring tape, some math skills to calculate the amount of coroplast needed, and some zipties & scissors), but the materials to make one costs more than some totes would. They're also easier for escape artists to get out of, and you have to be careful to make sure the coroplast goes high enough up the sides (10" minimum is recommended), and that you're using the cubes that only have a 1" spacing so hedgie can't get through them.

Both are non-ideal if you're looking for durability against other pets. A large dog could get into either cage set up. Cats can stick their paws through the cube openings in C&C cages & can be interested in laying on top of totes. Totes would also be easy for a small child to get into, if they have access to the cages.

Oh, and another pro of totes - they can be easier to transport for a travel or emergency cage. C&Cs don't break down & set back up quite as easily, especially the coroplast bottom.

Edit: Ease of cleaning is probably about the same for both, maybe easier with totes since you can take the whole lid off to get into them. Though if you have to move a heating system, then that gets more annoying. C&Cs, you can usually push a heating lamp to the back section of the lid while you open the front to get into the cage, but they can be harder to get into. On the plus side, they're set up however you set them up, so you can find the best way to make the door & give yourself accessibility.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
There are pros and cons with any cage. It boils down to your preference
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
IMO, Sterilite bins aren't ideal unless you have the tools & ability to attach two or more together. They're just not big enough (if you're going with clear ones, which most people do).

Bins are nice for holding heat better, which can be useful for people with a very cold house. But they need specialized tools in order to make holes to put PVC pipe through & attach multiple totes. They're also more escape-proof, but not completely so. You still need a lid, and it just needs to be modified with some screening so there's enough ventilation. Ventilation also needs to be added in the form of holes in the sides of the bins (small ones, along the top, usually).

C&C cages are great for making whatever size cage you want. But they're very open & can be very drafty & hard to heat. They don't take any special equipment to set up (a measuring tape, some math skills to calculate the amount of coroplast needed, and some zipties & scissors), but the materials to make one costs more than some totes would. They're also easier for escape artists to get out of, and you have to be careful to make sure the coroplast goes high enough up the sides (10" minimum is recommended), and that you're using the cubes that only have a 1" spacing so hedgie can't get through them.

Both are non-ideal if you're looking for durability against other pets. A large dog could get into either cage set up. Cats can stick their paws through the cube openings in C&C cages & can be interested in laying on top of totes. Totes would also be easy for a small child to get into, if they have access to the cages.

Oh, and another pro of totes - they can be easier to transport for a travel or emergency cage. C&Cs don't break down & set back up quite as easily, especially the coroplast bottom.

Edit: Ease of cleaning is probably about the same for both, maybe easier with totes since you can take the whole lid off to get into them. Though if you have to move a heating system, then that gets more annoying. C&Cs, you can usually push a heating lamp to the back section of the lid while you open the front to get into the cage, but they can be harder to get into. On the plus side, they're set up however you set them up, so you can find the best way to make the door & give yourself accessibility.
thank you i think i will go with a c&c is a tote a bin?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yup, different words for the same thing. I deleted your second thread, we try to have people stick to only one thread about a topic as more will clutter up the forum unnecessarily.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I personally like to have bins as a cage. I connect two bins together to make it bigger. Is it very easily to clean. Like Lilysmommy said, it requires some modification, such as ventilation or holes to connect two or more bins.
gusanr14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use a bin cage too. Mine is kind of small, but then again I do have small hedgehog so I think it doesn't really matter. Personally I would get a bin cage just because they are cheaper and are easier to clean.

Tags
c&c cage, cage, help convince, housing, sterlite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in