Sheldons House - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sheldons House

Hey Hedgie Fans,

Just thought I'd post a pic of Shellys house, get suggestions/comments. Wheel is coming. Vet visit first to ensure his dry skin isn't mites. All his loo rolls are cut down the middle and the teething rings used to hang down but he bumped into them and it kept scaring him. *lso have some balls and a puppy rubber chew toy in the. There's a yellow fleece blanket inside his house.

Ignore the mess, the upper level whci he never used is under the cage and I didn't sweep yet

1hat do you all think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00430-20110707-1304.jpg (79.2 KB, 15 views)

shortnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sheldons House

Looks nice enough, its always hard to decide the right size home for hedgies, but you seem to have plenty of time to spend with him outside of his cage so he can get his "exploration" on so over all I'd say he seems happy enough, which kind of shavings are you using Aspen?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you are using Aspen or kiln-dried pine shavings, they are okay. But fleece liners are much more recommended. Shavings can be poky, and it looks like you have shredded shavings, which are more poky. They can poke eyes and get stuck in the private parts.

I'd removed the water bottle because they're dangerous for hedgies. Hedgies can chip their teeth on them and they make for an uncomfortable drinking position.

Once the wheel is in, I think it will be to small. There has to be at least 2 square feet of space after everything is in the cage.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also, how are you keeping the cage warm?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Right now until he gets the wheel he's getting lots of outside cage time, mostly in my bed with me and a bit outside

The bedding is aspen/carefresh mix from the previous owners house however I'm a carefresh only girl but didn't want to waste it so after I clean his cage saturday will be strictly carefresh.

His cage is right by the window, and my apartment is on the top floor of a multiplex and its always a bloody sauna in here even in the winter. So he has sunshine and is always warm enough, me I have a fan :s

- have def considered a drinking bowl. His food dish is a mandarain ceramic dish - -m going to buy him a strong heavy waterdish again as soon as funds permit.

Its a work in progress and I thank you all for your suggestions and comments

Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

You will want to use a separate light source. In the winter, the days get shorter. If he notices that they're are getting shorter, he will attempt hibernation because winter is coming. That's why you always want the schedule to be the same. Do you know the temperature of the cage? You will want to know that. And you have to make sure the temperature isn't fluctuating, or he may attempt hibernation, which can cause death. If the sun wasn't out on a cloudy day, you wouldn't be able to rely on that.

Carefresh is dusty, and there have been cases of hedgie's eating the carefresh which is very dangerous. It's not a recommended bedding. It also gets stuck in their quills and it's hard to get out. Hedgies like to burrow, and the carefresh can dry out their skin and cause respiratory problems.

Fleece doesn't give any of these problems, plus, it's cheaper because you just wash and re-use them
Old 07-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't want to sound rude, however you mentioned that carefresh is not a good option not recommended etc yet a few threads up its recommended by the site in a locked info thread. So it can't be too bad for them. Confusing indeed

Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnerdy
I don't want to sound rude, however you mentioned that carefresh is not a good option not recommended etc yet a few threads up its recommended by the site in a locked info thread. So it can't be too bad for them. Confusing indeed
It's really up to you Carefresh&aspen are both very dusty and cost alot since your always buying more for the life of the pet. They both make a mess everytime you get your hog out and are not all that comfortable for the hog to walk on. Both can come with mites too.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Its always recommended that people use fleece. Its easier to clean, you only have to buy a certain amount of liners (which saves you money) and its not as dusty as care fresh. Its not bad to use care fresh just annoying(?) and sometimes it may cause issues with certain hedgehogs , the dust might bother them.
kelybely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks LarryT and Kelybely for clearing that up. Yikes Mites can live in carefresh too? I used it for years with my Hammys and gerbals no issues .... Ick

Well I just bought a bag of carefresh 2 weeks ago for him, if its safe but just not the best -ll use it up .aybe enough for 3 cage cleans. In the meantime Ill read into those fleece liner thingies.

Thanks everyone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in