Questions about building a C&C - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about building a C&C

After a 2 week search, I finally found cubes for a C&C set up. I'm going to be calling Home Depot soon to find out about prices for a sheet of coroplast.

My question is, would it be OK to have the coroplast cover the entire inside of the cage? I've read that you need to have at least 8 inches of coroplast up the sides, but I've never seen a "maximum" amount...

I ask this because while right now maintaining a good temperature is easy, it may get a bit more difficult in the colder months, and I figured that having the walls completely covered would help hold in heat. I'm going to do 2 cubes x 3 cubes, making it approximately 2.5 ft x 3.5 ft.

Also, the cubes are about 14" tall. Should I figure out a way to do a cover for the cage, or is 14" plenty high to keep hedgie from escaping? I've read that they can be geniuses when it comes to piling things up to climb out, so I figured I would ask.

Any pictures, experience or advice is welcome. I'm really happy to finally be able to get Mildred into a bigger cage, and I want it to be perfect for her.

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Questions about building a C&C

I'm currently in the process of putting my own c&c cage together tonight =) It would be fine IMO, but maybe some experts would say otherwise, I'm still new to hedgie ownership. from what i've found though, the sheets tend to come in 4'x8' commonly, at their largest size, so if you used only one sheet that could sort of determine how high it would go up the edges. Does that make sense? The base area would take up 3.5x2.5 feet, then whatever is leftover would be the side edges. You could possibly cut separate pieces of coroplast to make them higher though, just more work
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I also have a question about the C&C cages. I see some have coroplast but it looks like others have something different of a clear material?

Thanks,
Amanda
amab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

i think some people's plastic is from the clear mats that go under office chairs,to make the chairs roll around. the spikes would need to face on the outside of the cage.im not sure what other plastic material is,sorry
Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amab
I also have a question about the C&C cages. I see some have coroplast but it looks like others have something different of a clear material?

Thanks,
Amanda
Mine is semi-clear, like, a white transluscent... It's coroplast.

Some other people also had ones made from pexiglass.

I hope that helps
Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am also researching building a C&C. I was going to purchase one of the kits from guineapigzone.com, but those only come up 6 inches, is that high enough?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd really ,really number crunch if I were you moorea- I made a 2x2 c&c this evening, and it was WAY less than one of the pre-made kits. Coroplast=$15, Cubes-$16 from walmart site-to-store.

I don't have alot of room, so I had to make a smallish cage. If you are looking to make a bigger one, then the price will go up, but really make sure that it is in your best interest. I'd imagine shipping could be quite high on those kits. I just googled "sign stores" in my area and called around asking if they sold large sheets of coroplast. one did, and they cut it down to my size for me.

If you live in a rather remote area, then perhaps it would be nice. I just love the look of c&c cages ! I hope to post pics of mine tomorrow, when it is 100%done.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

The shipping and handling costs for the coroplast on those websites is outrageous, FYI.

Anyway, can anyone help me out?

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

out of curiosity i looked at the pre made C&C cages on the linked site, i had no idea you could get them made for you so i thought id check out what they look like.. but wow that is just way over priced. even the ramps are obnoxiously priced IMO.. & awbat3 is right.. you can easily make something yourself, thats why C&Cs are so great, they are cheaper and easy to build.

hanhan27 i would think that if you wanted to have the walls taller for the winter only that would be ok but you still would need some form of ventilation as i know they do require that. maybe punching some holes??.. another option that may be a bit easier that i have read people have done is using fleece. i actually use a regular blanket to cover a portion but not all of my cage. if using fleece just make sure it is not too close to any lamps you may have of course as it could be a fire hazard too, i have seen people make liners that were fitted to the cage specially with holes made so it doesnt come in contact with their lamps, or you can also make them to only cover the sides, it would probably be easy enough to just cut fleece to fit and use clips or ties, i think that would let enough air through but still keep the warmth in.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

The only problem with having the coroplast up so high is ventilation. Storage bins aren't as recommend, because they have poor ventilation. If you put the coroplast all the way up, it'd be the same. So I'd stick with 8 or 9 inches. Make sure you put a lid on the cage (ignore the black dots and no coroplast) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/1090347.jpg/

For the "clear coroplast", there is a few things it can be:

Plastic chair mats: http://modernoffice.stores.yahoo.net/chairmats.html
Plexiglass: Clear Acrylic Sheet: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/clear-a ... nch/924846

I use this on the front of my cage, and white coroplast on the back and sides. I only use it on the front because it's more expensive, and I only see through the front anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorea
I am also researching building a C&C. I was going to purchase one of the kits from guineapigzone.com, but those only come up 6 inches, is that high enough?
6 inches isn't high enough, because hedgies are masters at escaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda
you can also make them to only cover the sides, it would probably be easy enough to just cut fleece to fit and use clips or ties, i think that would let enough air through but still keep the warmth in.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/848/1090590.jpg/
The back wall and right wall are covered in fleece. As well as one wall on each of my lofts. Thought an image would help Ignore the no roof and no coroplast. It's still in the making, just started this one today.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in