Questions about building a C&C - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Questions about building a C&C

Remote is an understatement, I live "in the middle of nowhere" the grids and connectors are not that expensive on the site, it is the cloroplast that is expensive. That being said the only thing I have been able to find locally is plexiglass, we just purchased a small sheet of plexi for my sons chameleon habitat and it was MUCH more expensive then the cloroplast on the C&C site. A 2'x 4' plexi sheet was $52 dollars, that would not even cover the floor of the cage not to mention the loft I am putting so I will need to pieces of plexi to cover floor and sides. So I am alreay at $104.00. Then I will need two of the Whitmor Cube setups to get the size I am wanting to build. So I am now at $136 dollars. The setup in my cart at the pig site is $124.64 plus $20 shipping. So it is $8 less expensive I do not have to drive an hour to town and an hour back and I like the idea that the cloroplast on the pig site seems to be a solid tray so I do not need to worry about cutting and securing the sides or anything leaking.

I am going with the large (27" x 56" = approximately 10.5 Square Feet) and the 2x2 loft (Interior: 27" x 27") For the loft I am not buying the kit, just the pieces as I do not want their ramp, I am going to use plastic dryer tube.

So yes, I can save money by buying the walmart cubes, but then I will end up spending more buying plexi glass locally and for the xtra $20 I will be spending on shipping I will be saving a heck of a lot of time fitting, cutting and securing several pieces of plexi.

Of course... if six inches is not high enough, then I will drive the hour to town get the walmart grids, get the expensive plexi from the hardware store and drive the hour back to build it all!

So I am hoping someone will let me know if the six inches is high enough!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorea
Of course... if six inches is not high enough, then I will drive the hour to town get the walmart grids, get the expensive plexi from the hardware store and drive the hour back to build it all!

So I am hoping someone will let me know if the six inches is high enough!
Just to let you know, on their website:
http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-ca ... c-cage-kit
You can adjust the 6inch coroplast to 12 inches. It's only for one wall though, but even so, since coroplast only has to be 8 inches, if you don't mind doing some cutting and taping, you could do that?

Just realized, if you buy that cage, there is not grids on the bottom. In your other post, you said it was cold where you live, so if you can't put a storage area under it, you'll want to put a blanket under it. Also, it needs to have a lid, so you'd have to buy extra grids.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

you can order coroplast and c&c online separately , i know for certain that walmart has the c&c grids online that would save you quite a bit of money i believe

Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

I currently have a 2x3 cube set (bought from K-Mart) for Mocha I have the coroplast about 5 inches high, and Mocha has not been able to get up the sides. The only problem I had is Mocha getting into the corners and behind the fleece that was set on top and around the coroplast.

The setup is a little different now, but you get the picture.

more pictures of the cage is in the "Photos" link in my signature.
itbrti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

OK... so 8" it is.

As for underneath, I was not going to use the grid system. we were going to build a pine stand to keep it off the ground!

I am confused about the top. I am by no means against a top, if it is safer then it is all good, but I have seen a ton of these setups without them. Even the post before this one did not have a top (at least not a full one) Is the top just to place the CHE's? It was my plan to hang them, but if sitting them on the cage is better I am OK with that!

We have also decided to redesign my daughters walk in closet for this project. It is roughly 6' x 5' and she is not using most of it. So we are going to just use the back wall as closet and the rest for hedgie. This way we can also put n a space heater on a thermostat and because it is a smaller room it should be much easier to heat and cool!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm not sure if the cage above is always like that, or if it has a full lid, they removed it for the picture. But, the reason a lid is highly recommended is to prevent escapes. They are masters at escaping, and there have been quite a few people who have made posts about them escaping. Right now someone has a post about there missing hedgie, who last time I checked was missing for 14 hours so far. Because they get injured and dehydrated easily, it's something to worry about. A lid just puts you at ease.

It's perfectly fine to hang the CHE or CHE's. I think it's easier to place them ontop of the cage, but I've never hung one (so far), so I really can't say. The only time I'd say it'd be necessary to hang it, would be if you have something really close to the lid. I do in my new cage that I put in my other post, which is why I'm hanging it probably. If the CHE was to high up though (hung to high) then you may have a problem with heating. But as long as it's close to the cage, it's fine.

I think I'd be more concerned with being burned or burning something if they were hanging. I can see myself putting my hand under it without realizing and being burned. You mentioned before you have a son, I have no clue how old he is, but I might be worried about him touching the lid near the CHE and being burned. Just my thoughts
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

My son is 10, but he will not be hands on with the hedgie. The hedgie project is one I am doing with my daughter. She is 14.

My son and I just completed a chameleon habitat and interestingly enough it was the exact opposite. I had the lights sitting on the cage top and had several problems trying to feed the lizard with the lights on top, he burnt the plastic trim around the top of the glass, another time he nearly dropped the lights into the aquarium and a few times almost knocked them off the cage.

I decided that before he burned himself or the house down I better hang the lights and now he gets in and out of the cage by slipping the top off below the lights without issue! We haven't had an issue since they have been hung.

Guess that is why I wanted to hang the hedgie's lights.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Breeders

I have the coroplast walls all the way up on my C&C cages,a lid is still rec.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... =1&theater
Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

LarryT- my c&c cage has 10inch coroplast walls. Contrary to this thread though, is it too high? I will still attach a lid
Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbat3
LarryT- my c&c cage has 10inch coroplast walls. Contrary to this thread though, is it too high? I will still attach a lid
10 inch walls should be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in