Switched to fleece - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Switched to fleece

So..... i switched to fleece (please, no "I told you so's"). Of course i did this during the day, so Jeremiah didn't explore much before going back into his tube, but he did check out his cork bark hide with the kerchiefs and seemed interested.
Anyway... i know it looks crowded, but he climbs over the bricks, through the tube and over & through the cork bark, so except for the litter pan it is no less room than before. I am looking for a smaller litter pan, but wanted to start training as soon as possible. Also i may build him a loft later, i just need to plan a little and get suppllies.
Pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleece.jpg (65.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg fleece2.jpg (68.5 KB, 30 views)

Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Switched to fleece

Cute set-up It looks like your hedgie will really enjoy exploring all those hidey places ;D
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, shaelikestaquitos! I hope to see him exploring tomorrow morning. Right now he is snuggled in his tube against his stuffed hedgie. (I think he likes the extra darkness the kerchief allows in the tube....)

Old 06-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok............ I have GOT to admit that everyone suggesting fleece instead of aspen or any other bedding was totally right. Jeremiah likes it better, it is SO much easier to clean his cage, it looks nicer (even when he messes everything up), and now I can redecorate every few days with new fleece/flannel.
Jeremiah loves to snuggle in his cork "cave" with his kerchiefs. I'd use strips of fleece, but since it stays right around 80 degrees in his cage I chose to use kerchiefs.
So I apologize if I came off as snooty or snobby or anything. It just goes to show that if you take advice from those who know, you can make your pets life better.
(I think that I hesitated on the fleece because of my failed attempts with my pet rats. They totally destroyed everything........)
Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

You might want to look into getting a different wheel. Silent Spinners have been known to cause injuries to hedgies due to the gaps between between the white and green pieces. Some people cover the slits with tape but then that traps urine in the wheel because of the cupped shaped.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
You might want to look into getting a different wheel. Silent Spinners have been known to cause injuries to hedgies due to the gaps between between the white and green pieces. Some people cover the slits with tape but then that traps urine in the wheel because of the cupped shaped.
I'm going to order a Storm wheel as soon as i can afford it. i have tape over the slits and change it everytime I clean the wheel.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

yay for a cozy hedgie home!

where did you get the cork hide? never seen it before, so just curious.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedcircle
yay for a cozy hedgie home!

where did you get the cork hide? never seen it before, so just curious.
I got the cork hide at Pets Supplies Plus. It was in the reptile section. Jeremiah loves to sleep under it and climb around on it. One of the best purchases I've ever made!
(Jeremiah refuses to use the litterbox, so it is out of the cage. I might replace it with a dig box or something.....)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

i love the set up as well, i really like how the entire front opens up for easy access. i wish my cage opened up more like that.
i hate to bug you with it but do those balls have holes in them? i thought i saw holes.. just fyi you'll want to be careful your baby doesnt get his little footsies or anything else caught in them, i have similar ones with holes that i keep out for play time but i have solid soft ones for her cage, although she hasnt seemed too interested in them just yet
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda
i love the set up as well, i really like how the entire front opens up for easy access. i wish my cage opened up more like that.
i hate to bug you with it but do those balls have holes in them? i thought i saw holes.. just fyi you'll want to be careful your baby doesnt get his little footsies or anything else caught in them, i have similar ones with holes that i keep out for play time but i have solid soft ones for her cage, although she hasnt seemed too interested in them just yet
Yah, the balls have holes. I didn't think the holes were big enough to be a danger, but Jeremiah hasn't shown any interest in them, so I will take them out.
What toys do hedgehogs really like? Jer loves his wheel and likes to drag his kerchiefs around, but shows no interest in anyother toys.
The cage is SUPER easy to clean, and I like it better than a wire cage because it isn't drafty at all while offering excellant ventilation. Jeremiah loves the big front window.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in