My new hedgehogs cage...Any Suggestions? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My new hedgehogs cage...Any Suggestions?

I'm getting my hedgehog on Sunday and I want to make sure that her cage is set up right. I built her cage and I put plexi glass on the bottom and I am putting them on the sides as well so she can't climb or get stuck in the squares. I put a fleece blanket over the plexiglass.

Is the Igloo to big? It's a large so that she will have enough room to move around if she needs to. I also have a fleece blanket that I have that can be put in there so she will have something to snuggle into so she will be warm. I don't think I will need a heating lamp or anything cause it stays warm in my room all year long, so i'm not really worried about that.

Is her wheel to big? It's also a large, I wanted to make sure it was big enough for when she get's bigger. When I get her she will only be 5 weeks old but I don't know how big she will get so I wanted to make sure that she will fit in her wheel. Right now I have it attached to the cage but I might end up having to put it back on the stand it came with cause it will make to much noise and because it's a little tougher to turn. I am planning on getting a litter pan to go underneath the wheel but I am having a problem with finding one that will fit. I have looked at walmart, kmart, petsmart, target and a local pet store and I can't find anything. Any suggestions on what I can use if I can't find one.

For her food, I bought Sunseed Vita Exotics Hedgehog Formula. It has 37% protein, 7% fat, and 12% fiber. Is this a good food to feed her?

[attachment=0:35rtn64n]1.jpg[/attachment:35rtn64n]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (287.6 KB, 20 views)
staceyp07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My new hedgehogs cage...Any Suggestions?

The igloo is the right size. It's the size that other people get as well.

You need to find out what temperature your room is. If the temperature changes, you WILL need to get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). If you hedgehog notices that the temperature is changing she may attempt hibernation, which is deadly.

Her wheel is not too big, but it's NOT a good wheel either. Because there is a crack between the two colours, toes and toe nails can get ripped off. That wheel is also loud and hard to clean. If you want to keep using that wheel, you have to fill the crack with something or ducktape it. There's really no such thing as a wheel being to big (other then the chinchilla ones). The best wheel you can get (and the only one I recommend) is the Carolina Storm Wheel or Carolina Storm Bucket Wheel, by Larry. If you cannot order it, then the Super Pet Comfort Wheel 12" is better then the silent spinner.

For a litter pan, you can use a tin baking pan or plastic type pan. Pie tin, cake pin, etc. They are super cheap, and easy to find.

That food isn't good. Just because it says it's for hedgehogs doesn't mean it's good. You should buy a high quality cat food like Blue Buffalo, Chicken Soup For The Cat Lovers Soul or Innova. The food can't have any animal-by-products, corn, wheat. The first two ingriedients should be REAL meat/meat meal. The protein can't be higher than 32%, or it will cause kidney damage. The fat needs to be between 10-15%.

You should really read through the threads on here....
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Your cage is looking great I love the liner too. The food you asked about isn't really a good food for hedgies, it has lots of seafood in it which can cause very stinky poop. The protein is pretty high on it, it's usually good to stay around 30% for a dry food. You can check out the Recommended Food List in the diet sections for a huge list of dry cat foods that are good to feed.

The Silent Spinner wheel can be dangerous and has caused some injury in the past. The little nut has been known to come undone making the wheel fall, there is little slits where the colors come together and wholes that can catch toes and toe nails also. 12 " in the right size so if you are unable to replace it right away you can try to fill in that crack and the holes to make it safer, it will make cleaning harder. You could also try figuring out a way to attach a safety to it in case it was to fall. Larry T from the forums makes a really great and safe Cake Cover Wheel and a Bucket Wheel (CSW and CSBW), if you are able to this will make life easier all away around because its easy to clean, quiet and safe

I can't tell from the picture how far the plexi comes up but one thing I noticed is the squares are 5 across instead of 9 so if the hedgie found a way up there it would be possible to squeeze through. You will want to make sure there is a top on it as well (may have one already that's not in the picture but just wanted to say just in case).

Besides those few things the cage is looking great, very nice size, beautiful fabric, nice sized hideout and fun looking tunnels and toys to play with

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm sorry to say this, but those grids are not hedgie safe. Even an adult could get through it and a young baby would walk through like it doesn't exist.

Unfortunately, those are the wrong sized cube grids. It should be the ones with 9 squares across which gives a 1.5" opening. Even the 1.5" openings, smaller hedgehogs and babies can easily get out.

The cage also needs a lid. As we have seen from all the escapes in the past few weeks, hedgehogs are escape artists and need to have secure cages with escape proof lids.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyp07
I'm getting my hedgehog on Sunday and I want to make sure that her cage is set up right. I built her cage and I put plexi glass on the bottom and I am putting them on the sides as well so she can't climb or get stuck in the squares. I put a fleece blanket over the plexiglass.

Is the Igloo to big? It's a large so that she will have enough room to move around if she needs to. I also have a fleece blanket that I have that can be put in there so she will have something to snuggle into so she will be warm. I don't think I will need a heating lamp or anything cause it stays warm in my room all year long, so i'm not really worried about that.

Is her wheel to big? It's also a large, I wanted to make sure it was big enough for when she get's bigger. When I get her she will only be 5 weeks old but I don't know how big she will get so I wanted to make sure that she will fit in her wheel. Right now I have it attached to the cage but I might end up having to put it back on the stand it came with cause it will make to much noise and because it's a little tougher to turn. I am planning on getting a litter pan to go underneath the wheel but I am having a problem with finding one that will fit. I have looked at walmart, kmart, petsmart, target and a local pet store and I can't find anything. Any suggestions on what I can use if I can't find one.

For her food, I bought Sunseed Vita Exotics Hedgehog Formula. It has 37% protein, 7% fat, and 12% fiber. Is this a good food to feed her?
[attachment=0:idx21exj]1.jpg[/attachment:idx21exj]
Okay, first off the grids are way too big you could try and return the cubes and get one that is 9x9 grids, Second the wheel is NOISY and is unsafe because it is perfect for little hedgie nails to slip through and be damaged, here is a forum with a PERFECT wheel! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9827&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
So now onto the food, I feed my hedgie Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey and Chicken Formula cat food because CAT FOOD CAN CONTAIN NOOO CORN! It is good for sensative tummies, There is a dry cat food list on the forum somewhere... You will enjoy being a hedgie mama (papa?) and read every sticky! GOOD LUCK!
TeddysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm trying a 9x9 cake pan for a litter pan. Don't know if it works yet, I don't have my hedgehog yet, but it looks like it will work.
sadolakced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in