Cutting coroplast alot harder than it looked! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Buttons
  • 1 Post By AnnaLK
  • 1 Post By alia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Cutting coroplast alot harder than it looked!

Well purchased a premade C&C cage. Well made outside but what ever they used for the inside was falling apart. So I threw it out and though "oh I'll just buy some coroplast and cut it to fit- easy as pie." I was so wrong! It was a nightmare to find coroplast- didn't even find a big enough sheet (looked at homedepot, lowes, office depot, office max) of it so thought buy a few big pieces i could puzzle it together... after careful measurement I still managed to screw it up (curse my shaky hands and lack of ability to draw a straight line even with a laser)... two pieces of coroplast cut up and wasted... *sigh*... any advice welcomed... this is going to be alot harder than I thought...
Dlk02191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

I got coroplast just last weekend at Home Depot, 36x72 inch sheets, maybe your store was out of stock of the big sheets. What were you using to cut it, we used a utility knife, with little issues; we had a strip of hardwood left over that we used as a guideline for the knife to keep it straight. I will say that it was a lot stronger and sturdier than we anticipated, having never used anything like it before, but the end result was a lot nice than we anticipated also.
Nibblesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

see that's exactly the size I need but the homedepot near me doesn't keep it in stock nor can I find on their website
Dlk02191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would ask them to order a sheet or sheets it in for you. Or send it from another location even. It shouldn't be an extra cost.

Wow! I'm kind of ''out in the boonies'' and I got mine at home depot too. I'd make a request though.
lilsurfergrlsp likes this.
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got mine from Home Depot, the 36x72, and it was enough to cover my 2x3 cage without any left over. I had trouble cutting it as well, even with a utility knife, and still didn't manage to get the sides completely straight. What I did was cut one side, turn it over and fold that part up, then cut along the crease, and that worked for me. Wasn't perfect, but it worked.
Dlk02191 likes this.
AnnaLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

The secret to cutting coroplast is to only extend the cutting tip to 1/2 cm. and then press that gently. Onto the coroplast and slide the knife down the board 1 inch at a time (in effort) using something straight. Like side of hardcover book or a chopping board. Make sure to draw lines first. Coroplast is pretty forgiving. So if your cut line is crooked a bit. It will still come out fine. Drastically crooked lines (1" or more deviation from intended?) stop! And duct tape it. And restart it where u deviated and go slow to ensure blade doesn't slip and go back to the wrong area. When FOLDING that area. Place a heavy chopping board on the correct edge. Press down with one hand to keep it still and gently fold up wards the correct cut. Once folded. The wrong cut won't matter and no one but u will know.
PEBBLES83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

can you get home depot to cut your coroplast for you?
PEBBLES83 likes this.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Home Depot won't cut it for u. The hardest side is when u cutting against the ribs. But the other side. Along the ribs. Are easy. Just hang in there go slow. My first was a 2x6 guinea pig cage. So 4 feet by 8 feet sheet was so hard to cut as my first project but u can do it. Just go slow. Just remember. The shorter the blade tip extended the easier it is to control your cutting and u don't risk cutting too deep and coming out the other side. When going WITH the ribs? It cuts like butter. So go gentle and keep blade tip half cm max
PEBBLES83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEBBLES83 View Post
Home Depot won't cut it for u. The hardest side is when u cutting against the ribs. But the other side. Along the ribs. Are easy. Just hang in there go slow. My first was a 2x6 guinea pig cage. So 4 feet by 8 feet sheet was so hard to cut as my first project but u can do it. Just go slow. Just remember. The shorter the blade tip extended the easier it is to control your cutting and u don't risk cutting too deep and coming out the other side. When going WITH the ribs? It cuts like butter. So go gentle and keep blade tip half cm max
Perhaps yours wouldn't, but mine does. When I purchased mine to line our hutch, they actually offered, but I opted to cut at home since the base wasn't quite together yet, and I wanted it perfectly flush.

Another option is a local sign shop. They'll often sell blank coroplast cut to specific measurements for dirt cheap.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

When I bought some for my guinea pigs they offered to cut it as well.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
c&c cage, coroplast, premade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in