Hedgehog Central banner

Oral Growth

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  PJM 
#1 ·
So I finally managed to check Snuffles' mouth after I noticed she was eating her crickets a bit funny and I saw a HUGE growth :( I'm calling the vet first thing tomorrow and I've been reading all I can about oral tumours and what I've read isn't good. Is there anything else I should know before I go in tomorrow? Thank you so much

#2 ·
I am so sorry. Oral tumors are awful.

I found Snarfs the exact same way - except it was mealies he was eating weird. My only advice is to stay positive and be ready with answers to questions about eating and wheeling habits, amount of poop and consistency and whether there have been any changes in behavior. The vet also asked if Snarfs had been sniffing and sneezing more than usual or wheezing.

Hope for the best. I will be thinking about both of you. PM me if you want to chat, k?

#3 ·
It was actually your post that made me even think of checking so that you so much for that.
Now I notice she makes weird noises with her mouth at night. Other than that she is perfectly normal. I will get the first vet appointment I can and let you know what happens

#9 ·
My vet is not available today and I would really rather wait until tomorrow morning to see her instead of getting an appointment today with another clinic.
But for now what can I do for now for her? I was thinking of switching her to some form of soft food as I'm not sure if her kibble is hurting her mouth. Any suggestions?

#12 ·
Good news!!! It is definitely not a tumour. Snuffles had somehow managed to get a cut on the top of her mouth which then got infected and food started to collect there. So basically what I saw was a giant clump of food stuck to the top of her mouth. Anyways I am very relieved, Snuffles will be perfectly fine she is just on antibiotics and painkillers.
Thank you everyone for your support, it was a rough two days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.