My hedgehog is nearing 10 - 11 months old and ever since I had him he has been loosing quills. I have had him since June.. I know there is a "1 year quilling stage", but it really does feel endless...
here are some facts:
1) He loses between 7-10 quills a day (attached photo), some days 4-6
2) I can see new quills poking through, all the time.
3) he has dry skin and I have used olive oil/coconut oil to help
4)He has been treated with Revolution for mites in June, I recently I talked with my vet and he was prescribed 3 doses, 14 days apart again. I started the 1st dose last week
5) There are no obvious bald spots
Here are my questions:
1) how long does this last??
2) the quills lost all have "balls" at the end, and also some dry skin, is this normal?
3) is there such thing as quilling forever ...??
4) my vet said to stop using any oils for dry skin... so the skin can be "natural" and "balanced"..does anyone agree with this..ever since i stopped oils, the dry skin is so flaky
5) is the size of these quills BABY QUILLS?? they are huge... (see ruler for scale) is is losing adult quills???
Getting a bit worried that this stage is so long..it's been 5 months of quilling