Lazy one - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lazy one

Hello everyone! I've recently noticed that little Dexter doesn't really want to move around much and is always either sleeping or eating. I take him out of his cage a couple of times throughout the day just so he could roam around because he probably never used his wheel. I tried to put him on it but he would just sit there and be confused. Dexter is only 3 months old so he's still a baby but my sister commented on how he looked and said that he looked bigger than he was when I got him 2 weeks ago. I know that hedgehogs gain weight quickly but do you think his lifestyle is okay? (Sleeping, eating, sleeping, eating)

(He used to poop really light colored poop but now it's a very dark green, is his stool okay too?)
Maryam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgehogs are nocturnal so it's normal for them to sleep through the day. If we were to wake you up at night you wouldn't want to play either.
Babies sleep even more than adults. Sometimes it takes them a while to figure out their wheel. You can see he uses it if there's poop on it. If you're not sure of him using it you can put a bit of flour on the wheel.

What's the temperature of his cage and are there any recent changes in food, etc? For how long have you had him? Change can cause greenish stress poop. It is supposed to be dark brown.

It's advised to weigh your hedgehog at least once a week to keep track of its weight.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I only take him out when he's awake though, I don't wake him up or anything. I usually put wrap him in a blanket and let him sleep on my lap as well. My house's temperature isn't cold or anything, the room Dexter sleeps in is set at 24 degrees celsius which is 75 degrees fahrenheit.
There's no poop on the wheel but he sometimes pees right in front of it! His poop is either dark brown to dark green, it's always dark now but I'm guessing that it changes to green when I sneak in a little of new food!
Maryam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

You need a thermometer in his cage, room temperature is often measure around eye level and can differ a lot within the same room. His cage could be too cold even if the rooms thermostat is set to 24C, so it's always better to have a digital thermometer in the cage itself.
MomLady and DesireeM81 like this.
Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in