Feeding and getting hedgie to eat treats - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feeding and getting hedgie to eat treats

I have a problem with getting my hedgehog to eat treats I put in his cage. I try out new foods such as strawberries, asparagus, cilantro, bananas, even cilantro and lettuce. I usually set them in a separate dish next to his dry Spike's food, but when I check in the morning he doesn't appear to have even nibbled on it. Is there a way to get him to try new things?

I also have an issue with his spikes. His spikes are looking thin when he curls into a ball. Could this be due to diet? I had him checked for mites and he did not have any.
dewey2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey there, I am a fairly new hedgie owner but here are a couple of things I have learned in the past week. I have tried giving my hedgehog lots of treats, kale, raspberries etc...and the only thing she has been interested in is strawberries....and they can't be whole. If I break off a piece (kind of messy) then she goes nuts for it. Maybe your hedgehog is very particular too and you just haven't hit on his "thing"?
opalis141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've tried a few different fruits with Nibbles, the only one she would eat is dried mango, she barely even sniffed the others. We gave her roasted, unseasoned chicken for the first time this week and she gobbled that up like it was the best thing ever. Pretty sure that will be my little one's treat of choice
Nibblesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine won't even touch chicken. Hedgehogs are very picky
Prickerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hedgehogs are super picky, and usually need a lot of coaxing in order to get them to try something new. One method that I've found very helpful is the chopstick method. I'll rub one end of a chopstick in whatever I'm trying to get my hedgie to eat - try to get a tiny piece or two on it, and some juices if possible. Then kind of rub the chopstick against your hedgie's mouth, or inside if you're able. If your hedgie seems to like it, try offering the actual treat.

Usually cooked meat is a good option, or baby food. Also, some hedgehogs won't touch treats until they're older - my girl is a little over a year old now, and she didn't really like mealworms or new foods until a few months ago.

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

^^ agreed hedgies can be very picky some more then others.my little girl Bailey she loves mealworms,crickets,plain cooked eggs,plain cooked meat,baby food,strawberrys etc. but most veggies she won't have anything to do with.id just keep trying different stuff till you find something you're hedgie likes.it could be the bowl to my Bailey likes to dump her treats out cause she wants them on the fleece not the bowl lol it's funny cause she doesn't do that with her regular food bowl just her treat bowl.
ilovebailey1617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diet, health issue, quill loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in