Leashes and Harnesses - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MomLady
  • 3 Post By Prickerz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leashes and Harnesses

So with warm weather soon to be on the way I was wondering how to take Theodore on adventures outside of his cage. Perhaps let him roam around in the backyard or even take him with me to the park for a short while. So now comes the question, Harnesses and leashes? I know they pose a danger if they quill up but have their been any successes with this? Are there other ways to let my hedge enjoy mini adventures in the great outdoors? How do other proud hog owners take their little buddies our and about?

-cheers Theodore's mum.
Theodore_thehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have to be very, very careful with taking hedgie outside. They can be gone in an instant and you cannot EVER take your eyes off of them. Some people use a collapsible playpen, but you still have to watch them.

Plus you don't want them eating anything off the ground--grass and bugs have pesticides or parasites. The ground should be pretty warm-- so you're going to need a couple of 70+ degree days to warm it up.

Also, your hedgie may not want to be outside in the sun, so read his reaction to it all. Some do not react well to bright lights in what to them is the middle of their sleep. Some have no problems, just be aware of your hedgie's comfort level.

You also have to watch out for any predatory birds, hawks can strike in an instant--I have lost some of my yard bunnies to them.

I don't think you could ever get a harness or leash on a hedgie since their bodies are such an odd shape and since they can ball up.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

RIP dearest Rana 4-19-15 --12-12-19, I will miss you forever

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanky out for the feedback. I was really curious to see what other thought or if they had any tips or advice. I know the sun light and temperatures are things I have to be mindful of but I was wondering what sorts of things to keep in mind with my curious little guy.
Theodore_thehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

My coworker gave me a kiddie pool that has become Pepper's indoor play pen. I plan to get a second one for outside this Summer for my dogs (Including a new puppy!)
No risk of nasty things on the ground, and she can't go too far, but she will still be able to enjoy the fresh air.
nikki, Lilysmommy and MomLady like this.
Prickerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in