Socializing multiple hedgies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Socializing multiple hedgies

Hokay, so, I am in the process of adding another hog to my household. And I am wondering how I'm going to deal with social/cuddle time with two hogs.

I live alone, so I can't pass off a hog to someone else. Is my only option for cuddle time to divide my evening time? Like, get Sherlock out for half an hour, get new hog (most likely to be named Watson) out for half an hour? Or more, of course, those are just estimates... I generally have Sherlock out for at least an hour, he just kind of comes out around 9:30 and goes back to his cage whenever I think to put him back.

I wish there was a way to have them both out at once so they both could get a longer amount of time with me... How do you guys socialize with multiple hedgies in a night?

Thank you ashjac18 for my Sherlock avatar
NoDivision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Socializing multiple hedgies

I usually take my girls out at the same time. They're cuddlers most of the time, so I'll take them out, wrap them in their blankets or hedgie bags and keep one on each side of the bed/couch (they don't get along well.) Then I'll get one and put her on my lap for a little while, and after that I switch and put the other one on my lap, and that's how it goes.

A few times a week i let them explore for a few minutes on our bedroom floor, but then I'll take them at separated times as it is difficult for me to keep an eye on both of them when they decide to explore (and Pete will always be aggressive towards Mustard.)

Hope this helps, good luck finding your new little guy!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wondered about having them both out if they we in separate cuddle bags - Sherlock is a cuddler and probably wouldn't mind, I don't know about the new baby yet. But since they are both males I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Thank you ashjac18 for my Sherlock avatar
NoDivision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

i had 6...now 5...& really have had very little trouble with them!

i usually have them all out at once. intially, they all got along, so they all had (supervised, of course) free play/cuddle/snooze time. ages ranged from 3 months to 2 years when i got them - i had 1...then got 5 more (a long story!). anyway...

i have one who was more anti-social & prefered to be alone & would get grumpy, so i would let him roam/snooze/play in another room. now he is more social so he gets some group play time. one developed into the bully (my tiniest, WHS guy as matter of fact! who knew?) so we kept him up on the sofa, & he was thrilled with that, esp as his legs failed. the others play/cuddle/snooze together without incident...though annoyance does pop up sometimes & if i sense that, i will separate the offender & cuddle with him for awhile. my first hedgie is very alpha & sees everyone else as the interlopers except for the 3 (now 2) that came as babies (1 5 month old & 2 3 month olds)...he will seek them out & curl up to go to sleep. he will not fight so much as literally push everyone around (minus the "babies") or try to dominance mount them. *sigh*

but really, for having had 6 males for over a year...i only had one incident of someone biting the other. & that was the WHS guy doing the biting - never figured out why. that was the only real incident i have ever had. it's really been pretty easy...though i know their personalities & patterns & keep an eye out. of course...mine seem to always want to sleep. this helps a lot!

i would suggest introducing the perhaps Watson slowly...take a hedgie bag of his & let Sherlock sniff it...get used to the smell...etc...let them see each other from cages first...& investigate each other that way...safely! let them really get used to each other that way. then things will be less stressful when having them out together...no matter how you choose to do it.
rivoli256 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in