Fin in Public areas?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By DesireeM81

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Fin in Public areas??

Hi, I am new to this site, but I was wondering if anyone takes their hedgehog in stores. Do public places allow it? if so, how do you watch it the whole time. Do you buy a carrier or something? I really want to take my hedgie places but not sure how! Helpplzz!

Last edited by FinleyParkerismybb; 02-25-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: misspelled
FinleyParkerismybb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It would be a very bad idea to take your hedgehog anywhere that animals are not typically allowed in. That usually covers almost all stores & public places other than pet stores, especially any place that has & sells food. So you're mostly limited to taking your hedgehog to pet stores.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing very frequent trips with your hedgehog. You're likely going to be doing so during the day, which is when your hedgehog should be sleeping. Most hedgehogs are stressed by lots of noise, commotion, and people around them as well, so it's pretty likely that your hedgehog won't enjoy the trip at all. A few do, but most don't.

If you want to take your hedgehog someplace, I would suggest trying a short trip to a pet store and see how they do. If they get huffy, stressed, or just want to burrow & sleep, I wouldn't try to do it again for unnecessary trips.

You can buy soft carriers either at the pet store or from people that make and sell them online. I have one that I bought from Nancy when she was sewing. I'm not sure who else might make similar ones. You could also clean out an old purse and put a sleeping bag in it for a makeshift carrier.

Regardless of what you want to carry your hedgie in at the pet store, make sure you have them in a hard-sided cat/dog carrier in the car. It's not safe to travel in the car with them in anything else.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I take Penny with me sometimes to PetCo. She is my ambassador hedgehog and she enjoys the new smells. But the rest tend to stay home unless I bring them to the park for some sun in the summer. Winter does not get sun because he's albino and I don't want him to burn.

What I do is bring her in a hard sided pet carrier, the safest way to travel with a animal and then I bring a snuggle sack and fleece blanket. I put the fleece blanket in the cart where babies sit and I make sure it covers all holes so that no feets fall through. I put a snuggle sack on one side and leave the other side open so she can explore. She normally sniffs around for a little bit and then retreats to her snuggle sack with her face out so she can see what is going on. She gets a lot of attention so make sure your hedgehog is good with strangers. Penny is not a typical hedgehog, she likes every body, rarely balls up and doesn't mind being held.

I only bring her into places that don't mind animals, pet stores and such. I don't bring her where I have to hold her because she gets wiggly. I also bring baby wipes in case she messes her blankets.

If you think your hedgehog is good to go out, then bring him/her but make sure to watch behavior and if he/she gets to stressed, be ready to go home.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I take my hedgehog whenever I go to a families house, or the pet store, or the park, or even if I am just going for a drive. A lot of people say not to take your hedgie places but my hedgehog loves the car!
chubbstersmomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm guilty of occasionally bringing my pal along with me on short outings usually when I'm going somewhere near my university and can just walk there. There was an incident in a store however when a man reached and tried to grab him from my arms and scared both the hedgehog and I, so now I am EXTREMELY careful when, if ever I take Oliver out. I was appalled by the incident and hope the man learned his lesson when he got pricked, but just be careful. People are crazy.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in