Is my cage big enough? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my cage big enough?

I built a C&C cage, and it's 3x2 with a 2x1 loft. The Coroplast isn't in yet, because I don't want to cut it, then have to change my cage, then have to buy more.

I put a $1 bill in because people have been showing the size of their hedgie in comparison to a bill.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is my cage big enough?

Yea! It looks great!!! I have heard warnings about using metal dryer tubes because they can become too hot, but I don't have any personal experience...Looks like you've put a lot of time, thought, and effort into the cage though! I'm sure your hedgie will love it!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, I've never seen a Canadian $1 bill
Desperodo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toblerone
I have heard warnings about using metal dryer tubes because they can become too hot, but I don't have any personal experience...
I'd rather have a white plastic one, because I think it looks better, so I guess I have another reason to buy a new one now! Thank you, I had never heard that. Don't want to take a chance on giving anything dangerous.
CanadienHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think it looks great. I like that you have your loft only halfway up rather than a full cube - it will mean your angle up to it is much less steep for your hedgie I would suggest maybe starting off with the wheel somewhere else until your hedgehog figures out the loft? I know some hogs can take a while to get used to climbing up a tube like that, so keep an eye out and be prepared to move the wheel for a while if you need to

Thank you ashjac18 for my Sherlock avatar
NoDivision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

That's plenty big! Hedgehogs' cages need to be at least 4 sq. ft, and yours is 8! BTW cool fleece choice
leopardhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDivision
I think it looks great. I like that you have your loft only halfway up rather than a full cube - it will mean your angle up to it is much less steep for your hedgie I would suggest maybe starting off with the wheel somewhere else until your hedgehog figures out the loft? I know some hogs can take a while to get used to climbing up a tube like that, so keep an eye out and be prepared to move the wheel for a while if you need to
Hey no problem! [about the dryer vent suggestion, i saw it somewhere on here because I originally bought a metal one too and had to exchange it....some people suggested those extendible rain gutter plastic tubes...lemme see if i can find a picture http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 they're called extend a spouts i guess...and they have a "cut along this line" thing so you can cut the square ends off, just make sure to sand off the edges after you cut.

also in response to the quote...I'm really excited that you posted your cage pictures because that was exactly what i planned to do with my cage except put the lofted wheel more in the middle rather than at a corner, so I'm REALLY loving following this thread!!! thanks tons for posting!!! also how are you heating it? i think i might have found a way to heat my cage with CHEs despite the fact that there's a loft...[since it's not so high up] but I'd love to hear what u did!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperodo
Wow, I've never seen a Canadian $1 bill

yea, they are pretty well a thing of the past, same with the $2 dollar bills, in favor of loonies and toonies. I preferred bills instead of the coins.

A rescue contact for Manitoba with The Hedgehog Welfare Society

Heavenly Hedgehogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in