How to deal with the waiting!!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to deal with the waiting!!!!

Hello Everyone! I am new and I am receiving my first hedgehog in about 9 days. I was looking at exotic pets one night and as I was scrolling along I found out about these cute little creatures. I thought they were pretty cool and as learned more and more about them I be came more and more facinated!! So I couldn't take it anymore and said,"You know what! I am confident I can give one of these guys a wonderful home to live in!" Soooooo 5 months later with all information on hand, the entire cage set up, the tubes cut, and the mealworms ordered I am FINALLY going to get to take one home. I was planed to recieve a chocolate girl 3 weeks ago< but she died of an infected quill. Even though I was devasted it has allowed me to appreciate my new one and remember life is short....and I will need to spoil her while I can
ANYWAY! These long days of torture have been soooooo hard. Everyday ticks by with as much ferocity as a sick snail. I am just wondering if there is anything you guys know of that can help take the mind off the wait. Perhaps a fun sight or a craft project (hedgehog related of course)
Share stories send pictures ANYTHING! How did you guys deal with the wait??
Thanks!
QuillaSarsaparilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How to deal with the waiting!!!!

Salutations and welcome to HHC! I can only imagine the wait is terrible, with my first hedgehog she was a surprise Christmas gift so there was no time for me to twiddle my thumbs. There's lots of threads here with awesome pictures, and stories, and tips...I suggest reading all the sticky threads, you never know what you'll find out about that you didn't know could even exist. Even after 5 months of research, these little guys never stop surprising you.

What kind of cage do you have? Did you get a wheel? Are you using fleece liners or bedding? Do you have heating set up? Oh, and just so you know, pictures are required when you get your little one!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much! Reading through the threads is one of my only ways to entertain myself!
Yep I have a VERY large sterlite bin. I mean this thing is massive. I didn't know they made them that big. I think it is used to store christmas trees. I got a wheel 12 inches in diameter but I think I might upgrade later on to a CSW because I have a sneaky suspicion this one might squeak on me. I am using fleece liners because I think they are more cost efficient and keeps heat in better. I cut up many squares to put inside the house and for digging around. I got a space heater for christmas and it has an energy saver button on it that keeps the room at about 74 to 75 degrees. I can go higher if I need to though. Oh yes I will be posting as soon as she lets me!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

What kind of heating system are you using? We use CHE's and noticed it takes a few days for the temperature to stabilize. Maybe you could put your CHE on (if that's what you are using) and make sure you've got the thermostat set where you want it. It will take a couple days to get regulated.

We also sewed, and sewed, and sewed cage liners....and snuggle sacks. I wanted to sew a little igloo cover but I'm not that talented.

You could go out and get a scale.

Make a list of "treat foods" that are safe and a list of "unsafe/do not feed foods".

The day WILL come!!! It will definitely be worth it. I might add that we only have one hedgie so we were newbies and they are very strange animals at first so it is good to know what to expect. Have fun
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have tested the heating over and over and it just takes a couple of hours. Once the oil heats up it heats up the room quick. I put it on its highest setting and once its at the temp I want I put it on energy saver and it stays at a nice comfortable temperature. I am going out to buy more fleece soon so I can make more liners. hmmm a scale? That might be a good idea! I will look for one when I look for fleece.
Oh I know the day will come but I can"t help feeling the dreaded disease of impatience!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in