Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Questions (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Foot bath frequency (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9029)

CritterHeaven 03-22-2011 11:03 PM

Foot bath frequency

Truffle loves the CSW I have for him. He has not had a wheel til now since he is a baby but it is pretty obvious it gets a lot of use each night.

I have read some posts using the search tool that say frequent foot baths are ok. I think I may need to give him one every few nights as he gets poop caked on his toes pretty badly. Is that ok and should I be trying to put anything on his feet after to keep them hydrated? Or would he then just sliiippppppp right off that wheel? :D

Nebular 03-22-2011 11:16 PM

Re: Foot bath frequency

You should be able to give him a foot bath as often as you need to. Norman hates the water with a passion, so I usually try to pick/scrape it off with my nail if I can. You could also try wetting a towel and letting him run around on that to help loosen up his poopy boots. You should just be able to scrape it off or rub it off with a towel after it softens.

CritterHeaven 03-22-2011 11:21 PM

i did pick some of with my nail. i was afraid of scratching him. Poopie boots is right. I should not be suprised I guess seeing as how the wheel was COVERED. The only good thing being that the rest of his cage is pristine, just the wheel and little underneath it.

mcwojo 03-22-2011 11:27 PM

Gotta LOVE that wheel. :lol: Best thing ever. Thanks Larry!!!!

hercsmom 03-23-2011 12:25 AM

Herc gets a nightly footbath, since almost his whole leg gets covered in poop nightly! :shock:
I just try to make it as quick as possible and give a few mealies along the way.

CritterHeaven 03-23-2011 10:40 PM

Truffle got his first foot bath tonight. He was not too big on it though not too panicky either. It was pretty quick. It worked to get his backside a bit cleaner too. Which was good.... :o

He recovered very quickly, especially once we brought the mealworms out. ;)

hercsmom 03-24-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CritterHeaven
He recovered very quickly, especially once we brought the mealworms out. ;)

You'll be amazed at how far a little mealie bribery can go! If it weren't for mealies, I don't think I would be able to get near Herc's nails. :lol:

alexdud25 03-25-2011 09:35 PM

Speaking of poopy boots-

Shadow just had a foot bath and I noticed he had a bit of dried poo on his tail. I tried to rub it off with my finger first and then his Spiderman toothbrush and EVERY time I go near it, he tucks his little tail so tight!!!

Has anyone had this issue, and how did you deal with it?

I've tried letting him run around in warm water to soak it off but it didn't work