Travelling - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Travelling

I have family in China, so I often travel and stay there for 1-2 months in the summer. My grandparents want to go back to China in the next few months, and really want me to come along with them. I'm wondering if it'd be okay to take my hedgehog with me.

I don't mean whether they're illegal or not there. I'm pretty sure they're not (I'll confirm later if I am going back). I'm asking whether it would make my hedgie scared and unsettled again. I just got her last week, and even though I have no plans yet to go back, I wanted to see if I could take her along. I don't really want to leave her with a friend because I would worry whether her needs are being met.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Travelling

Since you just got her, I wouldn't risk putting her through all that in the span of 1-2 months. I'm sure you can find someone qualified to look after her.
Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Speaking from a purely legal standpoint:

Even if they aren't illegal in china she will have to go through a quarantine period (unless laws have changes recently) when you arrive in china AND WHEN YOU ARRIVE BACK IN THE US (even though you are a citizen and the pet is from here.
Since it is a animal coming from another country they have to make sure it is not carrying any diseases that could be transmittable.
Last I was informed the quarantine period could run from as little as 2 weeks MINIMUM to 6-8 weeks. And she will be kept at a facility (government property, not with you or a place you can chose), without anything that comes from home (it may contain any potential diseases) to be monitored and have the appropriate tests run etc....so if you're ok with putting your girl through that, (not being able to see her, being in a STRANGE environment etc.) then ok.
Emminim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emminim
Last I was informed the quarantine period could run from as little as 2 weeks MINIMUM to 6-8 weeks. And she will be kept at a facility (government property, not with you or a place you can chose), without anything that comes from home (it may contain any potential diseases) to be monitored and have the appropriate tests run etc....so if you're ok with putting your girl through that, (not being able to see her, being in a STRANGE environment etc.) then ok.
Of course I'm not okay with that... would anyone be?
I didn't know about quarantine. I know for some places they accept a vetinary report that's been done in the last few days. And I don't know whether Canada does the quarantine. I will ask.
Thanks for letting me know!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah, and it should be easy to find out about quarantine stuff. Just wanted to point that out cause I know that's the way it is in the US, but it could very well be different in canada, but make sure to check with China too
Emminim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Between the US and Canada there is no QT (with a vets certificate, at least on dogs). Between Canada and China I am betting there is.

My Sweeties

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! I'm calling up airlines etc to find out more. My baby's feeling everyone's help and concern I'm sure .
If I do need to leave her, I'll probably look on HHC for someone who would be willing to care for her.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Check with the agency that controls wildlife in China and Canada. They are able to inform everything you have to do about traveling with her. I have family in Brazil and checked with the Brazilian Institute of Environment and Renewable Natural Resources how to get in the country with my girls. since they're the ones controlling wildlife there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in